These delicious whole wheat biscuits can of course be made any time of year, but use your cookie cutters, and they are especially fun for Christmas!
Whole Wheat Biscuit Recipe
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup powdered milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
Mix all dry ingredients together. Then add:
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt (I used Plain Greek Yogurt)
Knead together until well combined. Put dough onto a floured surface, and roll to 1 inch thick. Cut out with a biscuit cutter, or cookie cutters. Dough will be a bit crumbly, so just keep pushing the dough together to form shapes.
Bake at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Why should you include whole wheat in your diet?
- Helps balance blood sugar (and trust me, you know if your child’s blood sugar is low… they get super cranky!)
- Weight control. According to WHFoods, a large scale study showed those who ate more whole grains, consistently weighed less than those who ate refined grains.
- Whole wheat is rich in fiber.
- The bran and germ portion of the grain has vitamin B1, B2, B3, E, folic acid, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, copper, and iron…. all which are lost during refining.
I’ll tell you one benefit for me in using whole wheat over white flour products, is merely portion control. In our home, if there is a bag of white bread, it is eaten 3 times faster than our whole wheat bread. Just sayin… You too?