This Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal has all the flavors of your kid’s favorite instant variety- but without all the sugar and preservatives! Fresh apples, sweet refreshing applesauce, chewy old fashioned oats and creamy Greek yogurt make this Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal recipe kick the packets to the curb!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Oatmeal with Apples and Cinnamon
One of the classic flavors of those instant oatmeal packets is Apple Cinnamon. They usually have freeze dried pieces of apple, quick oats, cinnamon, sugar and preservatives. It makes sense that they are popular because they are convenient, quick and easy to make and taste good.
The secret to making your own oatmeal, is that it is almost as easy as the packets, tastes so much better and has SO much more nutrition! Fresh apples, sweet refreshing applesauce, chewy old fashioned oats and creamy Greek yogurt make this Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal recipe kick the packets to the curb!
Ingredients You Need for Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Oats – definitely use old fashioned or rolled oats. They only take a couple minutes longer to cook than instant and are a thousand times better.
- Apples – you will need fresh apples (whatever kind your prefer) and unsweetened applesauce.
- Cinnamon – warm and sweet, the perfect compliment to crisp apples.
- Greek Yogurt – adds protein, calcium, creaminess and is just delicious in oatmeal.
More Favorite Oatmeal Recipes
Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Mix water, oats and cinnamon in a saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook oats 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in applesauce and honey.
- Dice apple. Serve oatmeal topped with Greek yogurt and diced apples. You can drizzle the honey on the yogurt instead of stirring it in as an option.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie