The flavors of strawberries and cream really shine in this simple and delicious oatmeal recipe. Cooking the oatmeal in pureed strawberries and milk guarantees you’ll get that fresh berry flavor in every bite.
Why we LOVE this Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal
We love oatmeal in our home, and have quite a few oatmeal recipes on regular rotation. But this one is special for a couple of reasons. First of all, it comes together super quickly on the stovetop. As much as we love our baked oatmeal recipes.. they take a bit more time. Secondly, it is the perfect recipe for using up those ‘past their prime’ strawberries that we sometimes find lurking in the corner of the fridge. Next time, don’t toss them! Puree those berries up with some milk and whip up this Strawberries and Cream oatmeal.
And last, but certainly not least… it is so satisfyingly delicious. The sweet, fresh flavor of strawberries and cream is something we never tire of. By pureeing the berries and cooking the oatmeal right in the strawberry milk, you get that delicious berry flavor in every bite of oatmeal. So simple, but so yummy. You can adjust the sugar if necessary, depending on how sweet your berries are.
Ingredients for Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal:
- Oats– We use regular rolled oats for this oatmeal.
- Strawberries– Sweet, in-season berries will give you the best strawberry flavor.
- Oat Milk– We used oat milk, but you can use whatever milk you keep on hand.
- Sugar– We used granulated sugar. Maple syrup, honey, or any sweetener of choice works here too!
- Vanilla Extract– Gives a boost of yummy flavor to this oatmeal.
- Salt– Adding a bit of salt really brings out the flavors without tasting salty.
How to Make Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal:
- Rinse your strawberries, trim the stems, and add them to a blender with the milk. Set aside a few strawberries to top your oatmeal with.
- Puree until smooth.
- Add the strawberry milk to a saucepan along with the oats, sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Simmer over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- Serve topped with diced strawberries.
Tips & Suggestions:
Can I use other fruits for this oatmeal?
Yes! This same process would work with lots of different fruits. Bananas, peaches, or raspberries would all be delicious.
Can I reheat the leftovers?
Leftover oatmeal can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Can I use other oats in this recipe?
We have only used regular rolled oats in this recipe, but I’m sure it would work with other oats. Simply follow the recipe as directed, but cook according to your package directions.
More Delicious Oatmeal Recipes:
Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal
- Rinse strawberries and cut the stems off. Place the strawberries in a blender with the milk, leaving out a handful of strawberries to top the oatmeal with. Blend until smooth. Dice the remaining strawberries.
- In a large pot, add the blended strawberry milk, vanilla, sugar, salt, and oats. Heat at medium-high and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat down to medium and simmer 5-6 minutes until thickened and creamy. Remove from heat.
- Transfer to bowls and top with diced strawberries and a drizzle of cream if desired. Serve warm and enjoy!
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie