- Celery juice used to be medicinal! It’s true, and I have an old medicine bottle to prove it. It did everything from curing indigestion, to renewing vitality. (labeling had some looser laws back then I guess) It says: A reliable laxative and diuretic. It restores strength, renews vitality, purifies the blood, regulates the Kidneys, Liver, and Bowels. A positive cure for Rheumatism, Blood disorders, stomach troubles, Liver and kidney complaints, malaria, indigestion, dyspespia, constipation, catarrh, Heart trouble, scrofula, neuralgia, etc. FEMALE WEAKNESS and Irregularities promptly relieved and permanently cured.
- It’s a low cost vegetable and practically available year round. Talk about a bargain buy!
- You can store celery, wrapped in foil, freezer if you don’t use it immediately.
- Celery Assists in fluid balance. Celery has the perfect balance of potassium and sodium. The potassium helps to maintain good blood pressure. It stimulates urine production and rids the body of excess fluid.
- It’s a good source of fiber! You can get 2 grams of fiber for every 19 calories (which is one cup of celery). 19 calories per cup is what I call “bang for your calorie buck!”
- Celery is a good source of folate. All you pregnant mamas take note, there is folate in celery.
- Celery is a good source of Vitamin C, A, and K.
- And the coolest reason at all…. Your kids can have fun curling celery!
- It’s easy. All you do is either slice the ends of celery thinly, or shave entire pieces off with a vegetable peeler, and dunk in very cold water. The celery will curl around itself making gorgeous garnishes, or a fun snack.
Step 1: Slice a very thin piece away from the edge of stalk of celery with vegetable peeler, without peeling it off. Do not dig deep, or too long.
Step 2: Dunk in ice cold water.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie