My kids love toast! Any topping and any time of day. We’re just hard wired to love bread. And when we can dress it up with a little extra flavor, it’s a win-win for everyone! So, here are some of the toppings my kids like on their toast- Let us know what you guys like in the commnents!
Kids Favorite Toast Toppings
- Erica loves to get creative with fruit faces on her toast. Her first creation yesterday was chocolate chip hair, banana eyes, strawberry nose, and apple mouth.
- Typical toppings: Most mornings we add honey or cinnamon!
- Flower Power. Slicing strawberries lengthwise, and arranged in a fan gives the look of a flower. So fun for tea parties, princess parties, or that special little girly girl!
- Applesauce Toast! I asked last night on twitter what favorite toast toppings were. Among the replies was Maria, who said she loved applesauce on toast. We have a recipe for rhubarb applesauce here.
- Another twitter reply was from Healthy Kids Challenge for peanut butter/ Banana toast! We love this too, except adding a little chocolate!
- Homemade jam has always been a favorite of ours. We’ve never tried orange marmalade though as that is what @marygooch on twitter said was her favorite!
- Erica, my daughter, insisted on designing this Valentine special: Peanut butter, strawberries, and chocolate! MMMM. She even took her own picture!
- Mustard! Strange, I know. My best friend all through high school would eat mustard toast for breakfast every day!
- Almond Butter, honey and granola! What a great combo, right?
- Poached Eggs on Toast! This combo of fat, protein, and whole grains makes a perfect balanced breakfast. (I tried to make a poached egg for the photo yesterday, and it was an absolute disaster!)
- Light Cream cheese and homemade jam. I always keep some spreadable cream cheese on hand. I love this stuff for wraps, sandwiches, toast, and dips!
- Pureed pinto beans and grated cheese. This doesn’t have to be for burritos only (or breakfast only for that matter). Some people don’t like typical breakfast foods, and this is a great alternative.
- Mushroom Toast. I had this for the first time as a teenager in East Germany (before the wall came down) It was so delicious, I can literally still taste it. It had sautéed mushrooms, garlic, and a sprinkling of cheese on top. My kids aren’t keen on mushrooms yet, but I’m still trying.
- Toast Dippers. You can have any variation of dipping sauce. This dip is hummus, which is why we have the carrots to go with it.
- Fresh Tomatoes and Mozzarella Cheese. Bake this for a few minutes to get the cheese crispy. Works especially well with those who have a toaster oven.
- Nacho Toast. Add salsa, green onions and cheese- then bake. The salsa I bought was super runny, or these would look better, I’m sure!
- Light cream cheese, raisins and cinnamon. Mix these altogether and spread.
- Nutella and apples. Nutella is a mixture of hazelnuts, cocoa and sugar. While it is a dessert food (sugar is the first ingredient), its fun to use on occasion.
- Laughing Cow Cheese wedge with cucumber slices.
- Hawaiian Pizza. Orange marmalade for a spread (optional), Pineapple tidbits, lean, nitrite free ham, and some cheese baked on top.
- Bear Toast- as soon all over pinterest!
- Cream cheese, pomegranate seeds, and nuts!
- Hard boiled egg and avocado slices!
- Cottage cheese, edamame and cherry tomatoes.
- Mandarin orange slices and raspberries!
THOSE ARE OUR FAVORITE! What about your kids?