When you think of Rhubarb, is the only thing that comes to mind Rhubarb Pie? One year my friend grew some rhubarb in her garden very successfully, but she told me, “We could only eat so much rhubarb pie, you know!”
But this Strawberry- Rhubarb – Applesauce is totally worth growing some rhubarb for, or at least buying some.
How to find rhubarb:
- Rhubarb is a pinkish- reddish stalk that looks similar to celery.
- Found in the produce department of most major grocery stores.
The Sauce was super easy. We used:
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks rhubarb, sliced
Boiled in water about 10-15 minutes until apples and rhubarb were soft enough to easily slide a fork into.
Then Put the apples and rhubarb in a blender, along with
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 strawberries
- 1/3 cup of the water from boiling the fruit
MMMM, We Love this applesauce!!!
Why should you include Rhubarb in your diet?
- It has vitamin C, potassium,
- It’s low in calories
- It’s a vegetable!!
- Good source of fiber.
- Helps constipation, It used to be used as a laxative.
- Interesting fact: Children in Norway eat a stalk dipped in sugar!
Anyway- I’m out! Have a great Tuesday… be back tomorrow with, who knows what!