We made these Zucchini Pizzas for our meal planning site during the summer. It wasn’t until I was looking through some old pictures that I decided they look like eyeballs and would be perfect for Halloween!!
We love finding healthy food for a holiday that is famous for being the most unhealthy of them all! With all the candy and junk food kids get, it will actually be welcoming to have a little vegetables and protein for a snack on Halloween.
While there is still a week or two left of the zucchini harvest, you should get all you can out of the zucchini’s that are left.
Zucchini is terrific for kids because:
- It’s high in vitamin C
- It takes on the flavor of foods you cook it with easily, helping kids to accept it.
- It’s a good source of manganese and vitamin A (Zucchini eyeballs for healthy eyes!)
This snack is also a great way to get kids in the kitchen! Simply cut zucchini into diagonals, arrange slices on a baking sheet, and top with marinara sauce, cheeses, and olives. (see full recipe below).
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/2 cup spaghetti or marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 jumbo black olives, canned
- Cut zucchini into diagonals, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Arrange slices on a baking sheet.
- Top with marinara sauce, cheese, and sliced olives.
- Broil in oven, on high for 2-4 minutes. Watch carefully- they cook fast!
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie