We made these Zucchini Pizzas for our meal planning site during the summer. It wasn’t until I was looking through some old pictures that I decided they look like eyeballs and would be perfect for Halloween!!
We love finding healthy food for a holiday that is famous for being the most unhealthy of them all! With all the candy and junk food kids get, it will actually be welcoming to have a little vegetables and protein for a snack on Halloween.
While there is still a week or two left of the zucchini harvest, you should get all you can out of the zucchini’s that are left.
Zucchini is terrific for kids because:
- It’s high in vitamin C
- It takes on the flavor of foods you cook it with easily, helping kids to accept it.
- It’s a good source of manganese and vitamin A (Zucchini eyeballs for healthy eyes!)
This snack is also a great way to get kids in the kitchen! Simply cut zucchini into diagonals, arrange slices on a baking sheet, and top with marinara sauce, cheeses, and olives. (see full recipe below).
- blue corn chips for hair and wings
- string cheese sliced into rounds for eyes
- olives sliced for eyes
- red bell pepper cut into small triangles for fangs
- Slice the avocados in half and remove the seeds. With a spoon, scoop out the avocado and add to a medium bowl. Mash with a fork until the consistency is how you like it. (if you like some texture, stop mashing when there are still small chunks of avocado)
- Add lime juice, minced garlic, salt, onion powder, and black pepper. Stir everything together to combine. Taste and add more salt and lime juice if it seems like it needs a bit more flavor.
- Spoon guacamole into the avocado shells and use a spoon to spread it evenly.
- Slice string cheese into rounds.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie