Easy to make and delicious! These Warm Turkey Sliders are a great way to use up extra deli meat or Thanksgiving leftovers!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Kid Friendly Sandwich Slider
Sliders are great for kids! They are small, can fit into their hands easily, and these have very simple ingredients – not a lot of sauce to drip everywhere! They only need one to fill their tummies and you can pack it full of protein and veggies and keep the bread to a minimum if you want. Use wheat rolls or white, whatever you have on hand. We love the creaminess that avocado adds to this simple sandwich also giving kids good fat and yummy flavor!
The great thing about these sliders is that it is a great way to use leftovers. If you have leftover rotisserie chicken in your fridge then use that! This recipe works great with any meat so don’t read Warm Turkey Sliders and get hung up on the “turkey.” These also work great with just about any condiment. You can use bbq sauce, ranch, mustard… really anything! This recipe is so versatile which makes it even better because you could do a slider night every week! Do chicken ranch one week, turkey mustard the next and then chicken bbq after that!
How to Make Warm Turkey Sliders
So let’s do this! I used wheat rolls I found at a my local grocery store. I started with a layer of spinach! The spinach cooks down a bit when you bake it and it replaces the lettuce you would find in a normal sandwich. Spinach tastes way better cooked than lettuce which is why we chose to use it.
I then topped the spinach with turkey and cheese! You don’t have to pile on the cheese! Just cut some thin slices and cover the meat so it will melt and pour out the sides a little bit. If the kids see the cheese, they’ll be more likely to take a bite!
After you’ve baked your sliders, top with avocado! You can also mash your avocado and spread it on like a condiment. Lastly, top with a yummy sauce (or you can leave it plain if you don’t want dripping sauce everywhere) Dijon honey mustard is amazing with the combination of flavors. These would also be yummy with leftover cranberry sauce. We make ours fresh using this recipe.
If you’re craving more sliders, make sure to check out our incredible Breakfast Sliders!
Warm Turkey Sliders
- 6 roll (1 oz) rolls, dinner, wheat
- 2 cup spinach
- 6 serving Turkey breast meat
- 1/2 cup cheese, cheddar or colby, lowfat
- 1 medium avocado
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice dinner rolls and place the bottoms on a cookie cookie sheet or casserole dish. Add spinach, turkey, and cheese to your sliders. You can also add any condiments you like…ranch, bbq sauce, mustard or anything your kids like!
- I placed the tops of the rolls next to the bottoms on the pan but not on top because I didn’t want the melted cheese to keep me from being able to top them with avocado after baking! Cover your pan with foil and bake for 14 minutes or until the cheese is melted and they’re heated through.
- Slice avocado and top each slider with 2 slices and then the top of the roll! Serve!
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie