Vegetarian Black Bean Taquitos
With black beans, spinach, corn, and peppers, these quick and easy Taquitos are packed with nutrients!
Our first vegetarian taquito recipe was a huge success with my kids! They love this dinner because it just tastes good. I love taquitos because they are quick and easy to make, and they are portable for those busy nights when you are on the go. Sometimes, I’ll add some pre-cooked chicken or ground beef, but it’s not necessary for my kids to eat it up and feel just as satisfied.
To make these taquitos, we partially blended the beans. This helped to keep the rest of the filling in the tortilla, instead of having it fall out! After processed, we added the seasonings and veggies to a bowl with the rest of the ingredients. The super foods we used in this recipe include:
- Black Beans– Black beans are a great source of fiber and protein.
- Garlic- An excellent source of manganese, vitamin B6, vitamin C and copper. Also a good source of selenium, phosphorus, vitamin B1, and calcium.
- Spinach- We like spinach as a source of Vitamin A, K, C, Folic acid and iron.
- Bell Peppers – We use bell peppers a lot (check out this list of snack ideas with bell peppers),but their rich color makes them an excellent source of antioxidants!
- Corn – Corn doesn’t always get noticed for how healthy it is, but it’s an EXCELLENT source of fiber, which kids need!
These taquitos are also baked rather than fried. We do have a new taquito coming out in a few weeks where we used an air fryer, but since those are so new, and not a lot of people have them, we went the traditional method of baking in the oven until the tortilla got nice and crispy.
Once cooked, you can wrap these in wax paper, freezer paper, or foil. Like we’ve done with our breakfast burritos, we’ve wrapped and stored these to eat another day!
To freeze: Before baking the taquitos, place on a baking sheet and flash freeze. Once mostly frozen, transfer to a ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, follow the baking steps on the recipe and increase cooking time by 5-10 minutes or until heated through.
Vegetarian Black Bean Taquitos
- 2 cup black beans, canned
- 2 tablespoon salsa
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2 ounce cream cheese, low fat
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 10 ounce spinach, frozen
- 1 medium bell pepper, red
- 3/4 cup corn, frozen
- 4 ounce Monterey Jack cheese
- 12 medium tortilla, whole wheat
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place 3/4 cup of the beans in a food processor with salsa, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, cream cheese and lime juice. Process until mostly smooth.
- Thaw and drain spinach. Dice bell peppers.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and add spinach, bell pepper, corn, grated cheese, and the rest of the beans. Mix thoroughly.
- Place about 1/2 cup of the bean mixture on each tortilla. Roll up tightly; place on a greased baking sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown and crisp.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie
Can you use fresh spinach instead of thawed frozen?