Asparagus is our Healthy letter A food of the day! Asparagus is:
- A great source of folate (for all your pregnant mamas out there)
- Good source of beta carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin.
- Excellent source of Vitamin K, C, and A
What we did to make Twigs In a Blanket:
- We prepped some bread dough (I used all white flour in this artisan bread recipe, but you could also use half whole wheat. you could also choose a premade biscuit dough, although I haven’t found one I think is healthy yet)
- After the dough had risen sufficiently, we took small balls of dough (1 TBL amounts), rolled it in our hands, and pressed it flat.
- Took one or two asparagus spears and bent off the woody ends.
- Wrapped one small piece of turkey around the spear (only on about half of them)
- Wrapped the bread dough around the spear and rolled it between our hands until it was completely wrapped and sealed.
- Brushed rolls with egg white wash.
- Sprinkled fresh parmesan cheese on dough.
- Baked at 350° for 15 minutes (or until bread is cooked through)
So instead of processed hot dogs, bring these asparagus snacks to your Super Bowl Parties this week
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie
Leave a Comment:Did you make this recipe? Leave a review!
I had a feeling this would be the food for today. I’ve never eaten it, though my sister and nieces love it with a certain dip she makes. Might have to try this and love the name you gave them. On my list for something new this week is pistachios there was a $1 off coupon in the paper Sunday so it was meant to be. Have a great day.
ha, ha. Want to take a guess at tomorrow’s A food?
What a cute and clever idea! I hope I get more asparagus in this weeks BB coop share! If not, I might have to go hunt some down at the grocery store!
I love the idea of wrapping turkey around them! I just made some asparagus wrapped in bacon and the asparagus got a lil overcooked for my liking. Crisp is my favorite.
haha Amy, I’m guessing something with artichoke there’s not too many foods that start with A.
I recently had a book club party, and one of my friends brought asparagus wrapped in salami and provolone cheese. She blanched the asparagus for a few seconds and them wrapped them with the meat and cheese. I’m sure you could uses turkey. My husband ate the cheese and salami and I ate the asparagus. They were good a few days after the party!
[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by The Baxters and Jen Kids, Iva Young. Iva Young said: Twigs in a Blanket: This isn’t your mama’s pigs in a blanket! These puppies are much healthier, tastier, fresher… http://bit.ly/gmbHTU […]
You’ve got be kidding me. Thanks for these suggestions! I’m definitely up for new cheap and (hopefully) healthy options.
I am so excited about this. I just got some asparagus with my winder dairy produce box this morning and I was wondering how I was going to get the family to eat it!
Have you tried the premade bicuits or scones from Immaculate bakery? They sell them at our Whole Foods.
Have you tried the premade biscuits or scones from Immaculate bakery? They sell them at our Whole Foods.
I haven’t. I don’t have a Whole Foods in my county. The closest one though is probably about 20 miles away (not too far, but not too close either). I’ll have to check where else they sell them.
what a great idea! we have dairy and egg allergies in our home and its hard to find healthy things to eat without these foods. I am sure these would be good even w/out the egg wash and cheese on top. thanks for your great blog!!
They would still be good for sure Heather. A few of ours didn’t have it at all, just because we got lazy!
Hey Heather- We also like to simmer our asparagus in chicken broth!
Thanks for the tip Natalie! I think I’ll try blanching them first next time too.
As t?ee admin of this wweb pagee is w?rking,
noo question very soon ?tt will be ?ell-known,
due to its quality contents.
If you wish for to take a great deal from this post then you have to apply such methods to your won webpage.
Swest ?log! I found it ?hile searching on Yahoo
News. Do you have any tip? oon how to get listed
in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying fo? a while but I
never seem to get there! Cheers
Do you think you could use a pizza dough instead?
Yes Heather- that’s a great idea!