Asparagus is our Healthy letter A food of the day! Asparagus is:
- A great source of folate (for all your pregnant mamas out there)
- Good source of beta carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin.
- Excellent source of Vitamin K, C, and A
What we did to make Twigs In a Blanket:
- We prepped some bread dough (I used all white flour in this artisan bread recipe, but you could also use half whole wheat. you could also choose a premade biscuit dough, although I haven’t found one I think is healthy yet)
- After the dough had risen sufficiently, we took small balls of dough (1 TBL amounts), rolled it in our hands, and pressed it flat.
- Took one or two asparagus spears and bent off the woody ends.
- Wrapped one small piece of turkey around the spear (only on about half of them)
- Wrapped the bread dough around the spear and rolled it between our hands until it was completely wrapped and sealed.
- Brushed rolls with egg white wash.
- Sprinkled fresh parmesan cheese on dough.
- Baked at 350° for 15 minutes (or until bread is cooked through)
So instead of processed hot dogs, bring these asparagus snacks to your Super Bowl Parties this week
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie