This flavorful spinach pesto is simple to make with budget-friendly ingredients, and it packs spinach into your kids’ meals in a picky-eater friendly way! Try this pesto on whole wheat pasta, chicken, or sandwiches.
Pesto is tasty and nutritious, and there are lots of variations to try beyond traditional basil pesto! Spinach makes a mild, delicious base for pesto that appeals to kids and is budget-friendly, too.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Why We Love Spinach Pesto
- It’s super nutritious! Spinach is rich in iron and vitamins that kids need to grow and thrive.
- It tastes mild. Spinach pesto is flavorful without being overpowering, so kids are more likely to say “yum!” when they try it.
- It’s budget-friendly. This pesto uses spinach in place of basil, and walnuts in place of pine nuts, so it’s an affordable addition to your regular meal rotation.
- It stays green. Spinach pesto doesn’t oxidize and turn brown as quickly as basil pesto, so you can enjoy bright, fresh-looking pesto for days.
How to Make Spinach Pesto
This delicious spread is simple to make in just minutes with your food processor. Just add all the ingredients to your processor and process until smooth!
If you like a coarsely-ground pesto, process the pesto for a shorter amount of time. If you prefer a finer consistency to your pesto, just keep pureeing until you get to the consistency you like.
We recommend waiting until your pesto is made before adding salt. Parmesan cheese is quite salty on its own, so you may not need much!
Ideas for Using Spinach Pesto
Use your pesto to add flavor to all kinds of dishes!
- Make “Green Goblin Pasta” with a spoonful of pesto stirred in, and extra Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- Spread pesto on grilled chicken or pork for a pop of flavor.
- Use pesto as a sandwich spread.
- Add a spoonful of pesto to soups for added taste and vitamins.
More Fresh Spinach Recipes to Try
- 3 cups fresh spinach packed
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients except salt and pepper in a food processor a process until the pesto reaches your desired consistency.
- Taste the pesto and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately!
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie