- 1 none cooking spray
- 1 cup brown rice, raw
- 1 pound beef, ground, 95% lean
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs, plain
- 1/2 cup pineapple, canned in 100% juice
- 1 medium bell pepper, green
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 cup vinegar, distilled
- 3 teaspoon soy sauce, low sodium
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cup sugar snap peas
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and place it in the oven while preheating.
- Cook rice as directed on package; remove from heat and cover until ready to serve.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, and bread crumbs using your hands. Form the meat into golf ball sized meatballs and place about 1 inch apart in the hot baking dish. Press down to flatten the bottom just slightly.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn them over and continue baking about 5 more minutes or until somewhat crispy on the outside.
- Prepare the sauce by draining pineapple and reserving the juice. Set pineapple aside, separately.
- Chop pepper into 1-inch pieces and set aside as well.
- Add 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice to a large skillet, then add water, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, and cornstarch; stir until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Add the pineapple, meatballs, and chopped green pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- While simmering, steam the peas in a small amount of water on the stove.
- Serve meatballs and peas over rice.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie