Inspired by iCarly (which I’ve only seen once… OK, Maybe twice) where T-Bo puts all his food on sticks, we skewered our lunch today.
I’ve actually never liked the classic peanut butter and jelly together. But My kids love it! This sandwich is so easy to make a health superstar, or a dietary disaster!
According to Wikipidia, the average North American child will consume 1500 PB&J’s before graduating high school! LOL This makes it even more important to healthify the classic sandwich!
- Replacing sugar infused, commercially prepared peanut butter with homemade nut butters may have the biggest impact on the overall nutrient density of this sandwich. So, how do you healthify this fave?
- Replace sugar added jam, with jam prepared with only fruit.
- Use whole wheat bread, or homemade bread.
- Peanut Butter swirl sandwiches (made with whole wheat cinnamon bread, peanut butter and jelly)
- Peanut butter and sliced apples on whole wheat bread (Meal Makeover Mom’s)
- Peanut butter, raisins and banana on whole wheat pita (MMM)
- Peanut butter and honey (or agave). We eat these often!
- PB&J on a whole wheat waffle
- Nut butter and applesauce
- Grilled or toasted peanut butter and jelly
- Peanut butter and Jelly Truffles
- Peanut butter and Nutella
- Soy nut butter with berries
- A triple decker PB&J- Crust cut off, sliced into squares and skewered!
- And the weirdest way- My husband eats his Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in a bowl of milk, with a fork!
And for heaven sakes parents, if the kids will only eat it with the crust cut off, just do it! They grow out of it, I promise!
Do your kids like a “Beyond ordinary” Peanut butter and jelly?