Who here sprouts? Sprouting seeds is easy, cheap, fun for kids, and super healthy for everyone! We mostly sprout alfalfa, but there are so many other things you can sprout! I have a book called, Natural Meals In Minutes by Rita Bingham. She recommends using sprouts in the following foods:
- Drinks: Sunflower, alfalfa, buckwheat, and wheat sprouts
- Omelets: Mung, lentil, sunflower, garbanzo, or sunflower sprouts.
- Stir Fry: Mung and Soy bean, lentil, garbanzo, and sunflower sprouts.
- Pancakes: Wheat, buckwheat, chopped alfalfa, and sunflower seeds can be mixed in with batter, or added after pancakes have been poured on the griddle.
- Breads: Wheat, alfalfa, sunflower, buckwheat, rye, or oats can be added to batter before baking.
- Salads: Alfalfa, lentil, Mung, garbanzo, wheat, radish, sunflower, or mixed sprouts can be added to tossed salads, wheat or pasta salads, or three bean salads.
- Desserts: Wheat (sprouted 3 days so it turns sweet) and sunflower seeds (sprouted 1/8 inch or less) are good in peanut butter candies and in ground nut and raisin balls.
These are some fun ideas! Sprouting is easy in a mason jar. Simply:
- I add 1-2 TBL of seeds in a mason jar with a draining lid.
- Rinse seeds in water and soak overnight.
- Drain water and let sit on the counter.
- 2-3 times a day my kids come by and rinse the seeds.
- Once the seeds sprout, I put in the light to develop the chlorophyll.
- Place in fridge to stop the growth and EAT
We love to add alfalfa sprouts to sandwiches and wraps, like this one:
The best alfalfa turkey sandwich:
- Whole wheat bread
- Light cream cheese
- alfalfa sprouts
- Sliced tomatoes
- sliced turkey
MMMMM.. Since we can’t exactly plant a garden right now, plant some seeds for sprouting! What kind of sprouts will you try?
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie