- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 ounce diced green chilies, canned
- 3 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 medium avocado
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 cup cilantro
- 1/4 medium onion, red
- 1 head lettuce
- 2 medium tomato, red
- Cut chicken breasts into strips. Spray the inside of the slow cooker with olive oil or non-stick spray and arrange the chicken strips in the bottom. Mix together the tomato salsa, onion powder, 4 ounce can diced green chilies with juice, 1-2 tablespoons hot sauce and 2 tablespoons lime juice. (Start with 1 tablespoon of hot sauce and taste the mixture on your finger to see if you want more.) Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken and cook on low for about 5 hours, or until chicken is very tender. (You can cook for a shorter time on high, but I thought cooking on low gave more tender chicken.)
- When the chicken is done, remove each piece with a slotted spoon and lay it on a cutting board to cool. Shred chicken with a fork and return to the slow cooker, stir to combine with the sauce, and let it heat back up while you prepare other ingredients.
- Peel and dice the avocados and toss with the 1/4 cup lime juice. Add the chopped cilantro and 1/4 cup chopped red onion and stir to combine.
- For tacos, cut iceberg lettuce heads in half and wash in salad spinner if needed. Peel off two pieces of lettuce and fill with a scoop of chicken mixture and a scoop of avocado salsa. Eat tacos with your hands.
Calories: 248kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 395mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g