This Seven Layer Dip is easy, delicious, and always a crowd-pleaser! It’s a healthy and satisfying recipe that is a must-have at parties.
Why We Love This Seven Layer Dip
I can’t emphasize enough the importance of having a delicious, easy, super popular, and healthy recipe that you can reliably turn to time and time again. Whether it be for a holiday party, casual get-together, or its-tuesday-night-and-I-don’t-feel-like-cooking. That may seems like a lofty and unattainable goal for a humble recipe, but hear me out. Seven Layer Dip is an overachiever like that. There is no cooking involved. No planning ahead. Not even room for error. And anywhere you serve it, it’s guaranteed to draw a crowd. It may not be fancy or impressive. But it is downright delicious. And with the combination of veggies, beans, and greek yogurt? It’s pretty darn healthy, too.
It’s also effortlessly customizable. Don’t like olives? Leave them out. Love bell peppers? Throw them on there. Serve it in a casserole dish, or in small, individual serving containers for cute and portable convenience. This one really is a keeper.
Ingredients For Seven Layer Dip:
- Refried Beans– Any brand you like (we used Rosarita brand)
- Rotel Tomatoes– Rotel tomatoes have green chilies that do add a little bit of heat, but still plenty mild enough for kids. You can substitute regular petite diced tomatoes if you prefer.
- Taco Seasoning– Use your favorite store-bought brand, or a homemade taco seasoning blend.
- Greek Yogurt (or Sour Cream)– We have made it both ways, and either way is delicious!
- Avocados– You can also substitute store-bought guacamole for the avocado/lime/garlic salt layer.
- Garlic Salt
- Cheddar Cheese– We love medium or sharp cheddar cheese. You can also use a Mexican shredded cheese blend.
- Roma Tomatoes– Roma tomatoes are perfect because they have less moisture than other fresh tomato varieties.
- Green Onions
How to Make Seven Layer Dip:
- Combine refried beans and rotel tomatoes. In a small bowl, stir together beans and tomatoes. Spread into the bottom of your serving dish. This is your first layer.
- Whisk together greek yogurt and taco seasoning. Whisk to combine and spread evenly over the refried bean layer.
- Mash the avocados. Slice the avocados in half and remove the pit. Put the avocado in a small bowl and mash with the lime juice and garlic salt. Spread the avocado mixture evenly over the greek yogurt layer.
- Add the rest of the toppings. Finally, sprinkle the cheese, sliced olives, diced tomatoes, and sliced green onions over the avocado layer.
- Chill. Allow your Seven Layer Dip to chill for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Serve with tortilla chips.
Tips & Suggestions
How long does Seven Layer Dip last?
Seven layer dip will last 3-4 days in the fridge if well covered. Keep in mind that the layers will start to bleed and the avocado layer will start to brown. But it will still be delicious!
What’s in Seven Layer Dip?
Seven layer dip usually consists of a refried beans, taco-seasoned sour cream, guacamole, cheese, tomatoes, olives, and green onions. Feel free to leave-off, replace, or add to these layers!
More Delicious Party Dip Recipes:
Seven Layer Dip
- 1 16 ounce can refried beans
- 1 10 ounce can Rotel tomatoes mild or medium
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 3 medium avocados
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 can black olives sliced
- 2 small roma tomatoes diced
- 2 stalks green onions chopped
- In a small mixing bowl, stir refried beans and Rotel tomatoes together. Spread in the bottom of a 9×13" pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together taco seasoning and Greek yogurt. Spread over the refried beans.
- Mash the avocados to the consistency you like, and combine with lime juice and garlic salt. Spread over the yogurt layer.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the top, then sliced olives, then diced tomatoes, and last but not least – green onion. Chill for 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie