We made these Zucchini Pizzas for our meal planning site during the summer. It wasn’t until I was looking through some old pictures that I decided they look like eyeballs and would be perfect for Halloween!!
We love finding healthy food for a holiday that is famous for being the most unhealthy of them all! With all the candy and junk food kids get, it will actually be welcoming to have a little vegetables and protein for a snack on Halloween.
While there is still a week or two left of the zucchini harvest, you should get all you can out of the zucchini’s that are left.
Zucchini is terrific for kids because:
- It’s high in vitamin C
- It takes on the flavor of foods you cook it with easily, helping kids to accept it.
- It’s a good source of manganese and vitamin A (Zucchini eyeballs for healthy eyes!)
This snack is also a great way to get kids in the kitchen! Simply cut zucchini into diagonals, arrange slices on a baking sheet, and top with marinara sauce, cheeses, and olives. (see full recipe below).
Zucchini EyeballsPrint Pin Rate
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/2 cup spaghetti or marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 jumbo black olives, canned
- Cut zucchini into diagonals, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Arrange slices on a baking sheet.
- Top with marinara sauce, cheese, and sliced olives.
- Broil in oven, on high for 2-4 minutes. Watch carefully- they cook fast!