Classic kids’ food, our chicken nuggets are made perfect for toddlers to easily eat!
We’ve all made chicken nuggets using bite size pieces of chicken, rolled in a breading, and baked, right? We eat those a lot and love them! But, we started thinking how hard that is for toddlers and younger kids to chew. Sometimes, meat can be especially tough for toddlers without all their teeth. One reason processed nuggets are so popular among little kids (beyond the salt, fat, and chemicals), is of course that they are easier to eat. So, I decided to make our own ‘Un-Processed’ nuggets for a new dinner idea, and they turned out delicious!!
How Do You Make Homemade Chicken Nuggets?
Chicken nuggets are are a common staple in the diet of many kids. They are incredibly accessible at fast food restaurants as well as in every freezer section at the grocery store. As much as kids love chicken nuggets from any source, the truth is that the best chicken nuggets are homemade. They are fresh, delicious and you don’t have to wonder what type of meat is ground up and packaged in your nuggets.
The typical way homemade chicken nuggets are made is by cutting up bite size pieces of chicken breast, dredging them in a flour mixture, egg mixture and then a breadcrumb mixture. After that nuggets can either be baked, deep fried, pan fried, or even air fried! Making chicken nuggets using this method is a super easy way to make them and they turn out delicious. But keep reading for our more kid-friendly method!
How To Make the Best Chicken Nuggets for Toddlers
Start with your chicken breast. We chose to boil our chicken to help keep it moist. TIP: if your chicken breasts come out too dry- your nuggets will ALSO be dry! Don’t over cook! Then, put your cooked chicken in a blender with:
- 1 egg
- salt, to taste
blend it all together until smooth.
To make these chicken nuggets more fun, because the chicken is soft and moldable after blending, you can shape them! Dino nuggets are sold in a lot of stores, so if you have a dinosaur mold to use, that could be fun. But really you can try any shape. If you want to make shapes, pack little balls of the meat mixture into cookie cutters, and then roll them in bread crumbs. It doesn’t take that long and kids love when their food is presented in a fun unique way. They can also help with this step – just make sure they wash their hands good after!
Once your nuggets are done, place on a cookie sheet to bake. We drizzled with a little butter, so they would come out crispier.. totally optional! Then, bake at 400 for about 10 minutes (you can flip half way though if you want both sides crispy. Serve with your favorite dip, like honey mustard, ranch, BBQ sauce, or whatever. Enjoy!
Can you Freeze Homemade Chicken Nuggets
Yes! This is a great recipe to make in a large batch and freeze some for a quick meal later. To freeze these chicken nuggets:
- Make following the recipe including baking the nuggets
- Let the nuggets cool completely.
- Portion out nuggets and place them in an airtight container or freezer bag. Label.
- Freeze for up to 2 months.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place nuggets on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Bake until heated through, about 30 minutes. Flip half way through to get them crispy on both sides.
MORE HOMEMADE CHICKEN NUGGETS RECIPES FOR KIDS
- Quinoa Coated Chicken Nuggets
- Kids Favorite Chicken Nuggets with 3 dips
- Ranch Crusted Chicken Nuggets
- Coconut Crusted Chicken Tenders
- Crispy Baked Parmesan Chicken Strips
- Chicken Fingers with 3 Dipping Sauces
VEGETARIAN NUGGET OPTIONS
- 1/2 pound chicken breast
- 1 large egg
- 1 dash salt
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, plain
- 2 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoon honey mustard dressing
- 1. Boil five ounces of chicken breast for 20 minutes in water.
- 2. In a blender, blend together cooked chicken breast, 1 egg and salt.
- 3. Pack small balls of the meat mixture into cookie cutters, and roll in bread crumbs. Or make meat mixture into small balls and roll in bread crumbs. Shapes are optional
- 4. Place shapes (or balls) onto a cookie sheet. Drizzle with a little butter to make them crispier.
- 5. Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. Flip halfway through if you want both sides crispy.
- 6. Dip in your favorite dip, like honey mustard, spicy mustard, BBQ sauce, Ranch Dressing, etc. Enjoy!