Take some extra time on Saturday morning to get creative with breakfast! Fun Food Idea: TOAST ANIMALS
So many mornings we’re rushed to get out the door. If kids have school or daycare, we are usually grabbing muffins or a quick scramble of eggs. But there are those mornings that are perfect for connecting with your kids. Those mornings where bonding over creativity, food, and being together is the priority. On those mornings, I like to do something fun like this!
What your kids can learn from food crafts
Crafting with your food is more popular than ever! Just a few short years ago, we used to share fun ideas to make your food into shapes or creatures, and our biggest response was from parents, irate that we would expect them to spend so much time in the kitchen making crazy things for the kids. That was never the intention! We only want to have you get in the kitchen WITH your kids! This will teach them:
- Kitchen skills (cutting, spreading slicing)
- Creativity (they can literally arrange food in any way they want- like a blank canvas).
- Sharing (one bowl of blueberries to be shared with all the kids at the table)
- Patterns and copying (show them a photo of these animal toasts and see if they can recreate it).
- Tasting (all food for food crafts is available for sneaking bites!) This makes foods they might normally not want to eat intriguing in a new way.
- Dexterity (picking up food and placing it)
For this particular project, we only needed toast, and then:
Ideas for faces
- and apples!
Ideas for spreads
Cut the fruit into different shapes and put in cups or bowls for the kids to create their masterpieces! We like to use little silicone muffin cups, because they are shallow and you can see and grab exactly what you need.
We’ve been inspired by other animal toast ideas and made a cat, a fish, a bear and an owl! Here’s some more inspiration below to show your kids to get creative.
Peanut butter on toast is not only a fun canvas for this craft, but also a great breakfast. All the essentials are present. We have healthy proteins, fats, fiber, and carbs!
READ NEXT=> 20 TOAST TOPPING IDEAS
Pin for later:
- 8 slice bread, whole wheat
- 4 tablespoon peanut butter, all-natural
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 ounce cream cheese
- 1 medium banana
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 medium apple
- 1 cup blueberries
- Toast bread. Place half the peanut butter in a small dish and the other half in a separate dish. Mix the cocoa in one dish with the peanut butter. Scoop cream cheese into another bowl. Cut banana into rounds, slice strawberries into thin slices, cut apple into small match-stick slices. Place blueberries into a small dish.
- With all your ingredients set, grab the kiddos and make some fun toast!