A light and fluffy whole wheat pancake packed with fresh strawberries- and topped with them too! These delicious Strawberry Pancakes are the perfect special occasion breakfast.
How to Make Strawberry Pancakes
We love to top our pancakes with fruit. Blueberries, bananas, peaches.. you name it. It’s the perfect way to sweeten up your breakfast with natural sugars and boost the nutritional value of this sometimes less-than-healthy breakfast option. But our very favorite fruit topping is strawberries. I decided to make my go-to pancake recipe even better by dicing up some the strawberries and adding it directly to the pancake batter. And they turned out delicious!!
I don’t think there is a substitute for fresh strawberries, but if you can’t get them, frozen strawberries would work in a pinch. Make sure to thaw and drain them before dicing them, or you’ll end up with too much extra liquid in your batter.
Of course I couldn’t just stop with putting strawberries in my pancakes! I piled them high with fresh strawberries too! Test the sweetness of your berries- we drizzled them with a bit of maple syrup because our berries were a bit on the tart side. But if your berries are super sweet, you may not even need to!
What is the Trick to Making Fluffy Pancakes?
Fresh baking powder and a thick batter are our tricks for super fluffy pancakes! The batter should drip off your spoon in clumps. If it pours easily, your batter is too thin and will result in flat pancakes. And make sure you don’t over mix! Stir just until the dry ingredients are incorporated. There will still be clumps of flour- that’s okay! If you stir too much you’ll end up with a tough pancake.
Looking for some more delicious pancake recipes? Check out some of our favorites!
- Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
- Blueberry Graham Pancakes
- Oatmeal Pancakes
- Sweet Zucchini Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cup flour, whole wheat
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large egg
- 2 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, pure
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped for topping
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, melted butter, vanilla, and honey.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet, mixing after each addition until just combined.
- Chop strawberries and fold into batter.
- Spray a griddle with cooking spray and heat over medium.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cup fulls onto hot skillet. Cook until bubbly, then flip and cook an additional minute until cooked through and golden.
- Serve drizzled with maple syrup.