We love curry at our house. There is something about the sweet flavor with a little spice, yummy veggies over warm brown rice that says comfort food to me. All 3 of our kids love it too! It has a rich flavor with familiar ingredients which is appealing even to picky eaters! This recipe is perfect for those days when you don’t have a lot of time, but want to come home to a really great meal. I put my ingredients in the crockpot at 2:00pm, didn’t get home until 5:40pm and we were eating by 6:00pm!! I used my pressure cooker to cook up brown rice, and it turned out perfect in just 20 minutes! We paired this with fresh pineapple and steamed pea pods for a super yummy, healthy and balanced meal.
A couple of tips when making this recipe:
- To save time, I bought pre-trimmed chicken stew meat from my butcher. It was already cut into bite-size pieces and so no prep required!
- Don’t open the crockpot while it is cooking. Every time you open the lid, it loses a lot of heat and will increase cooking time.
- Put the veggies on the bottom. Layer in this order: Carrots, onions, peppers. This helps the veggies that take longer cook all the way through.
- If you want to add more spice you can do a couple of things:
- Add more curry powder
- Chop a few jalapenos with the seeds and add to the veggie mix.
This recipe as is not spicy, which is perfect for most kids. Even my almost 1 year old loved it.
We love introducing our kids to new flavors and help them develop the ability to try new foods. This slow cooker coconut curry recipe is a great way to introduce them to different flavors, while still having familiar elements.
We hope you enjoy!
Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry RecipePrint Pin Rate
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium carrot
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 medium bell pepper, green
- 1 medium bell pepper, red
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1/4 cup tomato paste, canned
- 1 cup coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 3 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 teaspoon garam masala spice
- 1 cup brown rice, raw
- 2 medium mango
- Peel and chop onion and carrots. Mince garlic, chop bell peppers, and cut chicken into cubes.
- Add onion and carrots to the bottom of your slow cooker; add in garlic and peppers, then place chicken on top.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together tomato paste, coconut milk, salt, pepper, curry powder, and garam masala.
- Pour sauce over chicken and veggies, place lid on slow cooker, and cook on high for 3 -4 hours (or on low for 5-6 hours) until veggies are tender and chicken is no longer pink.
- About 1/2 hour before serving, cook rice according to the package directions.
- Serve curry over brown rice with mango slices on the side.