Of all the veggies, my kids probably love broccoli the best. We serve it in all different forms – steamed, roasted, baked, and in salad! Personally, I don’t love raw broccoli all by itself. But throw it in a salad with some other yummy toppings and it is like a broccoli makeover! This loaded broccoli salad recipe with creamy avocado citrus dressing is definitely the makeover broccoli needs to get your kids to try it!
We included lots of flavors and textures in this salad so that kids can find something they like and want to try. Maybe it is the blueberries that will get them, or maybe the bacon??
Start with the components – fresh, broccoli (make sure you chop into small bit size pieces), sliced almonds, blueberries, clementine and grapefruit slices, and finally crumbled bacon. Whip up your dressing. I love my Blendtec Twister Jar for making dressings. It is just the just right size and makes a super smooth creamy dressing, plus it is easy cleanup!
We love salads because there are so many different fruits and veggies you can add for kids to try! We few tips we have found to getting kids to try and like salad:
- Make a really yummy homemade dressing. Even for me a salad is all about the dressing. Kids love dips and topping a salad with a yummy dressing is kind of like dipping everything it in!
- Include familiar ingredients. If kids recognize and have tried some of the elements of the salad, thy are more likely to try all of it.
- Chop your salad ingredients into small bite size pieces. If they are trying to eat huge pieces of lettuce, or broccoli or whatever, they aren’t as likely to keeping eating if it is too difficult for them.
This salad is beautiful, delicious and great for lunch or to take to a get together!
Loaded Broccoli Salad with Creamy Avocado Citrus DressingPrint Pin Rate
- 4 cup broccoli, florets
- 4 medium clementine
- 1 medium grapefruit
- 1/2 cup, sliced almonds
- 1 cup blueberries
- 3 slice cooked bacon
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon vinegar, rice
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 tablespoon Poppy seeds
- Chop broccoli into bite size pieces.
- Peel clementines and grapefruit into sections.
- In a bowl combine the broccoli, clementines and grapefruit sections, sliced almonds, and blueberries.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except bacon) into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour over salad ingredients and toss well to combine.
- Crumble bacon and sprinkle on the salad.