This Creamy Crockpot Italian Chicken Recipe is an old favorite of our family. What isn’t an old favorite is how unhealthy the original recipe is. It calls for 1 cube of butter, a can of cream of chicken soup, an entire block of cream cheese, no veggies and served over white rice. I really think most recipes are not very hard to make healthy. When I make a dinner for my family I have a few of goals in mind. Use the least amount of processed foods possible (for the entire fam) decrease the amount of saturated fat (for the hubs) and increase the amount of fruits and vegetables (for the kids).
The first key to this recipe is to know how to make a Cream of Chicken Soup from scratch.
Then there are a few other key ingredients for this recipe.
After that it is just a matter of mixing everything together in the crockpot and letting it get all creamy and delicious for a while.
You will add your veggies at the end. We used broccoli which I think pairs the best with this dish, but you could also use fresh spinach, green peas, or green beans. We served ours over quinoa which was delicious, but you could also use brown rice or even bulgar.
Creamy Crockpot Italian Chicken RecipePrint Pin Rate
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 package dry italian dressing mix
- 1 recipe cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 – 3 laughing cow cream cheese blocks
- 2 cups frozen or fresh chopped veggies broccoli, spinach, green beans, green peas
- Spray crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place 4 smaller chicken breasts or 2 extra large chicken breasts into the crockpot.
- Combine water and Italian dressing mix and stir. Pour dressing over the chicken.
- Layer chicken soup on top of ingredients. Cover and allow to cook on low for 3 hours. (Your crockpot may cook faster or slower – this is an estimate)
- When chicken is no longer pink in the middle, it is ready to be shredded with two forks.
- Shred the chicken then mix the ingredients.
- Add cream cheese and vegetables and cook for another 30 minutes, until cream cheese is melted and veggies are softened and heated through.
- Turn off heat and let stand for a few minutes to allow sauce to thicken a bit.
- Serve over your favorite whole grain with a salad and fruit on the side!