The familiar flavor of sweet banana bread with bits of coconut and coconut flavor swirled throughout this amazing tropical bread!
How to Make Coconut Banana Bread
This version of banana bread is so easy to make! Just like any quick bread, you will want to mix the dry ingredients first and then combine the wet ingredients separately.
This recipe calls for Greek yogurt which adds protein, moisture and adds to the amazing texture of the bread. It also calls for lime juice which gives just a super subtle fresh flavor to this tropical tasting banana bread. You will mix the wet ingredients with the dry and stir together just until combined.
There are coconut flakes added to the batter, but also sprinkled on top. If you love toasted coconut, I recommend toasting the coconut before sprinkling it on. I like to toast my coconut in the oven on a sheet pan. Just spread an even layer and bake at 325 degrees F for about 5 minutes. Stir and then bake another 5 minutes if needed.
Can I Use Coconut Oil Instead of Butter in Banana Bread?
The answer is yes! This is one of the best parts about this recipe – the coconut flavor! Coconut Oil in baked goods gives them a slightly more dense and moist texture. It also adds just a hint of coconut flavor. The combination of those elements in this bread truly make it OUT OF THIS WORLD.
Can I Make Coconut Banana Bread Muffins Instead of a Loaf?
This recipe makes one loaf, but you can definitely make it into muffins! To make Coconut Banana Muffins:
- Make batter as directed
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until muffin bounces back when touched
That’s it! Sometimes muffins are more appealing to kids, and just overall easier for them to eat. Give it a go, and let me know what you think!
More of Our Favorite Banana Bread Recipes
Coconut Banana Bread
- 1 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 cup flour, whole wheat
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 large egg
- 3 medium banana
- 1/4 cup yogurt, plain, low-fat
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; flour the pan and set aside.
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife, then add to a large bowl.
- Add baking soda and salt to the flour, then whisk to combine.
- Place sugar and oil into a separate mixing bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Add eggs 1 at a time to the sugar mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Peel bananas and mash with the back of a fork.
- Add mashed banana, yogurt, lime juice, and vanilla to the mixing bowl and beat again until well blended.
- Add flour mixture to the mixing bowl; beat at low speed just until moistened. Fold in 1/2 cup coconut.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan, and sprinkle extra coconut on top. Using the back of a spoon, gently press without mixing in.
- Bake for up to 1 hour, checking at 45 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean when done.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.