Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks will be your new favorite healthy snack!
Say hello to this amazing cruciferous vegetable. Who knew cauliflower could be so versatile and used in so many dishes to bump up the nutrition!
Why Cauliflower is Healthy For You
The great thing about this recipe is you get the flavor of a bread stick, with the added nutrition of cauliflower. You will probably want to double this recipe because these dippers will be gone in a flash. They really are that good. Now don’t get me wrong, you can tell it isn’t bread, but the flavor is so good you won’t mind that. My kids certainly didn’t.
Top Reasons Cauliflower is good for you
- High levels of vitamins and minerals. Cauliflower is high in Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, and B Vitamins. It is packed with these vitamins and minerals and is low in calories making it a really nutrient dense food.
- High in Fiber. Fiber helps feed the healthy bacteria in your gut that can reduce inflammation and also is good for general digestive health.
- Good Source of Antioxidants. Cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower are high in specific groups of antioxidants which have been shown to slow the growth of cancer.
- Great for people who have to replace grains. Cauliflower is so versatile that it can be a great substitute for recipe that include grains. Some replacements are cauliflower rice, cauliflower crust, cauliflower tortillas, and cauliflower mac and cheese.
You can buy cauliflower rice from your local grocery store already done for you, or you can make your own with the directions below! Now that cauliflower rice is so popular, it is much easier to find in stores than it used to be. If you can find it, this recipe will come together in just a few minutes for an amazing healthy snack.
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
You begin by rinsing a head of cauliflower and roughly chopping.
In a food processor, pulse the cauliflower until it is chopped into very fine pieces.
Next, heat about 1 inch of water in a pot until it boils. Then place the cauliflower mixture in the water and steam for about 4-5 minutes. Cover with a lid, but watch it close because it can boil over quickly. Don’t ask me how I know this…….. Once the cauliflower is steamed, place in a fine mesh strainer. If you put in a regular colander it will run through the holes. Squish as much water out of it as you can with a large spoon.
When you have squeezed as much water out of the cauliflower as you can, place in a clean dry towel. Squeeze in extra water out. Be careful because HOT water will come out! This step is important because it helps your ‘crust’ to get crunchy.
Next combine the cauliflower and the rest of the ingredients in a bowl (Use only 1/2 the mozzarella and none of the Parmesan – that is to go on top) Mix well.
How to make the cauliflower breadsticks
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Then spoon the mixture onto the parchment paper and form a ‘loaf’ with your hands. This recipe makes enough to form a square about 8 1/2” x 11”.
Bake for about 30 minutes or until it is golden brown and the crust is set. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Place in the oven for 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Remove and slice. Serve with your favorite marinara sauce for dipping.
This is one of our favorite healthy snacks! My kids love helping make it and are amazing how it turns out every single time!
For more cauliflower recipes:
Cheesy Cauliflower Dippers
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 2 ounce mozzarella cheese
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup spaghetti or marinara sauce
- Wash and clean cauliflower; remove the florets from the bunch and discard the core.
- Place the florets in a food processor and pulse until it is of a “rice” consistency.
- In a large saucepan, heat one inch of water until it boils. Add in the cauliflower, cover with a lid, and allow to steam for 4-5 minutes. Watch closely so it does not boil over!
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Use a fine mesh strainer to drain the steamed cauliflower. Allow it to cool for a few minutes, then place in a clean dish towel (or even a paper towel) and squeeze as hard as you can to remove any excess water; add to a large mixing bowl.
- Grate the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Add 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, egg (slightly beaten), oregano, basil, and garlic salt (or garlic powder and regular salt) to the cauliflower. Stir well to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Spoon the cauliflower mixture onto the pan and use your hands to form it into a 8 1/2 x 11-inch rectangle.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and firm.
- Remove the crust from the oven and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 7-10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Cut into “breadsticks” and serve with warm marinara sauce for dipping.