Adding cauliflower to your pancake recipe can make a delicious, fluffy cauliflower pancake. The added nutrients you’ll give your kids are a bonus!
Some of the best ideas for this blog come from you, the readers. When I made hamburger pancakes a while ago, Jenny P MD, MPH left a comment that they love to add cauliflower to their pancakes to make them extra fluffy! I knew my kids would eat these too, as anything that looks like a pancake gets eaten around here.
Cauliflower, considered a cruciferous vegetable, is a great food to add to your children’s diet:
- It has almost 100% the RDA for Vitamin C per 1 cup.
- It’s high in fiber! Will keep those kids regular.
- It contains important antioxidants.
- It has been shown to promote cardiovascular health.
You can take any homemade pancake mix, or store bought and mix in some pureed cauliflower to make this recipe. The trick is to get your cauliflower super smooth, just like baby food!
Whenever I add pureed vegetables to our foods, I usually blend it first with the other liquid ingredients. For this Cauliflower Pancake Recipe I took:
- 1 cup of cauliflower in a pressure cooker.
- Added a few tablespoons of water and cooked it for 3 minutes (you can do this on the stove top too, the point is to get the cauliflower soft and cooked.
- With 1 1/2 cups of the water used to cook the cauliflower, and the 1 cup of cauliflower, place in blender, and puree until smooth. This is my finished puree:
At this point, there is so many recipes you can add this to. We just displaced some of the liquid with our cauliflower and it mixed in perfectly.
The verdict: Yummy! There were a few chunks of cauliflower left, which the kids weren’t thrilled about, but they still ate it! They turned out delicious, and it gave me a reason to use up some cauliflower from our fridge.
Let us know if you try it and what your kids think!
Fluffy Cauliflower Pancakes
- 1 cup cauliflower, florets
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup flour, whole wheat
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 none cooking spray
- 2 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- Steam cauliflower until tender. Add to food processor along with 1/2 cup water and blend until smooth.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine cauliflower puree, coconut milk, and egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Fold wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. Stir in remaining water until desired consistency is reached.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Drop batter by 1/8-1/4 cup amounts onto hot skillet, cooking until edges and bottom begin to brown. Flip and continue cooking until golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
- Serve topped with butter and fruit.