My kids don’t like dates, but they had no problem eating this Date/Nut bread!
Dates are a great source of fruit. They have:
- More antioxidants than apples, oranges, grapes, mangoes, or cantaloupe.
- They are a great source of fiber.
- They are naturally fat-free, cholesterol free and sodium free.
- They promote good digestion!!
Since those are some great reasons to put dates in your kids diet, here is a great recipe!
DATE NUT BREAD RECIPE
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cup dates
Pour boiling water over dates and let sit for 10 minutes. Then add:
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts.
In separate bowl:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 TBL melted butter
Combine date/flour mixture with sugar mixture and stir just till everything is moistened. If there is one thing I’ve learned in baking is not to over mix! Pour batter into 1 well greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes or until center is cooked.
Love bread like me? Go here for more bread recipes!