- 1 cup, pieces or slices mushrooms, white
- 12 ounce beef, ground, 90% lean
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 4 hamburger buns, whole wheat
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 medium bell pepper, red
- 4 ounce feta cheese crumbles
- 4 cup, diced watermelon
- 1 tablespoon parsley, fresh
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dice mushrooms into small pieces. Spray a skillet with cooking spray; heat skillet over medium heat and add mushrooms. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, or less, to allow mushrooms to soften up a bit. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. (An essential step because you do not want to mix a heated food item with raw meat. Read more here).
- While the mushrooms cool, heat the grill you will be using to cook your burgers. This can be as simple as using a griddle pan on the stove or an outdoor grill over hot coals.
- Once mushrooms are cool, toss into a bowl with the ground beef, season with 1/4tsp salt and 1/4tsp pepper and shape into hamburger patties. Transfer to your desired cooking location and cook until browned on both sides, no longer pink inside. Transfer to a clean platter and cover if not ready to serve yet.
- To prepare salad:
- Dice pepper, cube feta and watermelon. Coarsely chop parsley. Toss these ingredients into a bowl along with the remaining 1/4 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, olive oil and lemon juice, gently fold together.
- Toast hamburger buns a clean grilling area or skillet, serve hamburger on the bun, topped with lettuce and a few slices of avocado; salad on the side.
Calories: 490kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 77mg | Sodium: 808mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 16g