- 2 Potato medium (2-1/4″ to 3-1/4″ dia) russet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp, ground black pepper, ground
- 1 lb beef, ground, 90% lean
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 roll hamburger buns, whole wheat
- 4 medium carrot
- 1 cucumber (8-1/4″) cucumber
- 1 medium whole (2-3/5″ dia) tomato, red
- 12 tsp or 1 packet mustard
- 4 medium (3″ dia) apple
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Rinse and peel potatoes (or leave the skin for added nutrition!). Slice into 1/2 slices, then cut into strips, or even more fun would be to use metal food cutters; check it out here! Toss potatoes into a bowl with a lid; drizzle with olive oil, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper; seal bowl with the lid and shake to coat potatoes. Spread evenly onto a large baking sheet; bake for 20-25 minutes.
- While the potatoes bake, heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Mix beef, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and garlic powder in a large glass bowl. Shape into 4 regular size hamburger patties (or 8 mini ones); place patties into preheated skillet; brown on both sides, cooking until no longer pink in the center.
- Prepare the sides and toppings by cutting carrots into sticks, slicing cucumbers and tomatoes; place on the side in separate dishes or on a serving platter.
- Serve hamburgers on a whole wheat bun with mustard, tomato slice and cucumber slices; potatoes. Cut carrots into sticks, and slice apples. Serve on the side.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie