G’day everyone- It’s Arman back again and ready to share my snack of choice lately!
When it comes to flavor and taste combinations, sweet and salty ALWAYS wins in my book.
There is something extra delicious about having a little sweetness and saltiness in a recipe which takes it to the next level. Not only that, adding a pinch of sea salt to many (sweeter) foods, really does enhance the natural sweetness.
Case in point? Every morning, whenever I make my standard bowl of oatmeal (currently crushing on this healthy vanilla cake batter version), I always add a pinch of sea salt during the cooking process AND once it’s finished. It really adds the extra oomph and sweetness, without the need to overdoing it on the natural stuff, like honey, maple syrup or agave.
This isn’t just reserved for breakfast- I love my snacks to have the winning combination too and lately, I’ve been loving changing up my granola to incorporate that! I use my base recipe (oats, nut butter, maple syrup) and add some sweet and salty mix-ins!
The beauty of this granola is that it is SO customizable- I simply mix through what I have on hand or what I’m in the mood for! Here are some fun ideas-
- Lightly salted peanuts/cashews/almonds
- Dry roasted edamame beans
- Dairy free chocolate chips
- Dried fruit
- Unsweetened banana chips
This healthy sweet and salty granola has more of a trail mix kind of feel. I included slightly salted natural peanuts, unsweetened banana chips (my downfall!) and some dairy free chocolate chips. In less than 25 minutes, my apartment smelled AMAZING! Plus my taste buds were in a frenzy over all the sweet and salty goodness!
Hint- For those who don’t want to use honey.. (especially if you are a strict vegan), it definitely works with brown rice syrup and maple syrup too!
Arman is always snacking and thus, needs to make smarter choices. Luckily, he refuses to believe sweet recipes need to be sinful and shares healthy recipes WITHOUT sacrificing taste on his blog!
Easy Sweet and Salty Granola Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup nuts of choice
- 1/2 cup nut butter of choice
- 1/2 cup honey
- dairy free chocolate chips, separated
- 1/2 cup salty mix-ins of choice
- 1/2 cup sweet mix-ins of choice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray a large baking tray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your oats. Add your nut butter and honey (preferably melted) and mix until fully incorporated. Spread evenly on the greased baking tray and bake for 25 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Remove from oven and stir once more- Add half the dairy free chocolate chips and mix and set aside. Once cool, break up granola pieces and stir through the rest of the chocolate chips, sweet and salty mix-ins of choice.
- Keep granola in a sealed container.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie