A healthy and delicious meal you can have on the table in just 20 minutes.. thanks to store-bought whole wheat gnocchi! Try this Easy Gnocchi Recipe that’s cooked in a simple and flavorful veggie-packed tomato sauce.
What is Gnocchi?
If you’ve never had gnocchi before, they’re a sort of an Italian pasta-dumpling. They’re made with potatoes and a bit of flour to hold them together. They have a soft, chewy, texture that kids really like. Making homemade gnocchi is fun and therapeutic, but also time consuming – not something I want to do on a regular basis.
Luckily, you can buy pre-made gnocchi that’s made from high-quality whole food ingredients, and that is what we used here to make this a fantastic quick and easy weeknight meal.
Gnocchi sometimes flies under the radar as a dinner option. It’s delicious, but not something you often think of to make. Here’s your reminder that it exists! And here is an easy, healthy, and delicious way to prepare it.
This Easy Gnocchi Recipe is great because it’s packed with veggies! Mushrooms, onions, spinach, and tomatoes. It makes a great, filling vegetarian meal. Plus, you only need a handful of ingredients. And most of them are things that are easy to keep stocked for last minute dinner options.
How to Pronounce Gnocchi:
Gnocchi is pronounced “NYOH-kee”. The “g” is silent, and the stress is on the first syllable.
Ingredients for our Easy Gnocchi Recipe:
- Onion– Onion adds flavor and depth to the sauce. When cooked, onions become very soft and sweet, they help to balance out the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Mushrooms– Mushrooms add a meaty, savory flavor and texture to this vegetarian sauce. They also add additional nutrients such as protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals.
- Garlic– Garlic helps to balance out the acidity of the tomatoes and adds a warm, aromatic quality to the dish.
- Olive Oil– Olive oil can helps make the sauce more flavorful and satisfying. It also allows the flavors to develop and meld together.
- Diced Tomatoes– Diced tomatoes add both flavor and texture to the sauce. They add a slightly sweet and acidic flavor, which helps to balance out the other ingredients.
- Italian Seasoning– dried Italian Seasoning adds a boost of flavor. To add brightness, fresh herbs such as basil, oregano and parsley can be added as well.
- Salt & Pepper– rounds out the flavor of the dish.
- Spinach– Spinach adds nutrients, flavor, and color to the sauce. It’s a good source of vitamins and minerals and increases the nutritional value. It has a mild, slightly sweet and earthy flavor that can complement the flavors of the other ingredients in the sauce.
- Gnocchi– Gnocchi are small, soft dumplings made with potatoes, flour, and eggs. They are similar in appearance to pasta, but they have a softer, more pillowy texture.
- Parmesan Cheese– Shredded Parmesan cheese adds a cheesy, salty flavor to the dish and really pulls all of the flavors together.
How to Make this Easy Gnocchi Recipe:
- Dice onion, slice mushrooms, chop or slice spinach, and mince garlic.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and saute onions and mushrooms for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds or so.
- Add diced tomatoes (including juice) and seasonings. Add spinach and allow to wilt.
- Stir in uncooked gnocchi. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, until the gnocchi is cooked. Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.
Tips & Suggestions:
Both gnocchi and pasta can be part of a healthy diet, depending on how they are prepared. Gnocchi is made from potato, flour, and egg, and is generally lower in calories and carbohydrates than pasta.
Because this recipe calls for pre-made gnocchi, it’s pretty easy to prevent gummy gnocchi. Make sure you cook the gnocchi properly. Do not overcook the gnocchi or they may become mushy.
Of course! If you would rather use pasta, boil 16 ounces of pasta in salted water. Drain well and stir into the pasta sauce after the spinach. Follow the rest of the recipe as directed.
Our very favorite storebought gnocchi is the potato gnocchi from Trader Joe’s.
More Easy Weeknight Meals Ideas:
- Healthy Italian Spaghetti Carbonara
- Easy Weeknight Mexican Skillet Enchiladas
- Easy Weeknight Stir-Fry
- Quick Peanut Sesame Noodles
Easy Gnocchi Recipe
- Dice onion and slice mushrooms. Chop or julienne spinach. Mince garlic.
- Heat a large skillet with high sides (or stockpot) over medium heat. Add olive oil and saute onions and mushrooms until the onions begin to go translucent (4-5 minutes). Add garlic and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Pour in diced tomatoes (including the juice) and add Italian seasonings, salt and pepper. Add the spinach leaves and carefully stir.
- Once spinach is wilted, add uncooked gnocchi and stir together. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, until the gnocchi is cooked. Stir in Parmesan cheese and serve warm.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie