This Avocado Salad is packed with good for you ingredients and tossed in a delicious citrus lime dressing- it’s one of our favorites!
Why We Love This Avocado Salad
I love pasta salads. They are easy to make, travel well, make delicious leftovers, and you get a complete meal all in one bowl. This Avocado Pasta Salad is no exception.
There is a whole lot to love in this bright and flavorful salad. It’s easy to make, nutritious, filling but not too heavy, and tossed in a delicious cilantro lime dressing. Creamy avocado is combined with sweet and juicy tomatoes, chewy pasta, crunchy cucumber, and salty feta. And the dressing is easy and absolutely packed with flavor. It’s a pasta salad with southwestern flair, and we are totally here for it.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make This Avocado Pasta Salad:
- Pasta– Small ditalini pasta is perfect here. Orzo or macaroni would also work well.
- Avocado– Look for nice ripe avocado that gives when gently squeezed, but make sure it isn’t too soft.
- Cherry Tomatoes– We absolutely love cherry tomatoes in pasta salads! Slice in half and you’re good to go.
- Cucumber– We like to use english cucumbers, because there is no need to peel or remove the seeds.
- Red Onion– Red onion adds a nice spicy crunch, but green onion works too.
- Feta Cheese– Feta cheese adds a delicious salty bite to the salad.
Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- Cilantro– Fresh cilantro brings a bright, herby flavor to this dressing.
- Lime– You’ll use the juice and the zest in this recipe.
- Olive Oil– Avocado oil also works great here- really, any neutral flavored oil will work.
- Apple Cider Vinegar– Red wine vinegar can also be used here.
- Honey– Honey adds a delicious subtle sweetness to the salad.
- Garlic Powder– Garlic powder adds a delicious layer of flavor to the dressing. You can substitute minced fresh garlic if desired.
- Salt & Black Pepper– Add to season.
How To Make Avocado Pasta Salad:
Besides being healthy and full of flavor- Avocado Salad is incredibly easy to make! There are basically three steps.
- Cook the pasta. We love the ditalini in this recipe because it cooks up quickly and my kids love it!
- Prep the vegetables. Dice the avocado and red onion, quarter and slice the cucumber, and cut the tomatoes in half. We used cherry tomatoes, but any tomatoes will work. This recipe is super adaptable to use whatever you have on hand! Replace the red onion with green onion. Or if you have bell peppers or corn, they make a great addition as well!
- Mix up the dressing. Our cilantro lime dressing is so incredibly flavorful. It will last a week in the fridge, so a lot of the time I will mix up a double batch so that we have it throughout the week.
- Toss the salad together. Add the pasta, veggies and cheese to a bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to coat. Serve and enjoy!
The cut avocado will last 3-4 days. It might oxidize and lose visual appeal, but it isn’t harmful. However, the dressing will help slow the oxidation process. You can also toss your diced avocado with additional lime juice to help delay browning.
If you don’t want to use pasta in this salad, you can use a variety of grains here. Rice, quinoa, or barley make a great substitution. You can also use different pasta like orzo or macaroni.
Yes! My favorite way to do this is to whisk together the dressing and stir it into the pasta, cucumber, red onion, and tomatoes. The flavor of the dressing will actually improve as it chills. Right before serving, toss with the diced avocados and feta.
More Delicious Pasta Salad Recipes:
- Cook the pasta. Cook ditalini pasta according to package directions; drain and let cool while you prepare the other salad ingredients.
- Prepare Produce. Rinse cucumber and cut in half lengthwise. Cut each half lengthwise again and then cut into quarters. Cut cherry tomatoes in half. Cut red onion in half and then slice into very thin strips. Add all of these to a large serving bowl.
- Dice Avocados. Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit. Dice the inside into small bite size cubes. Add to the serving bowl.
- Whisk Dressing. In a small mixing bowl, combine lime juice and zest, honey, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, chopped cilantro, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, whisking to combine.
- Combine. Add the pasta to the serving bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the mixture and gently stir everything to combine. Serve immediately and enjoy!
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie