Veggie Packed Pizza Roll Recipe
Savory, cheesy warm pizza rolls. But these rolls don’t stop there! They are packed, literally with veggies. For those of you with kids who have a hard time with all of the textures and flavors of veggies, these pizza rolls are the perfect way to provide a variety of veggie flavors without overwhelming them. We believe it is important to serve your kids veggies in different forms, a variety of cooking methods and with other foods. These pizza rolls are yet another form of serving veggies to your kids. There are 9 different veggies in these delicious Veggie Packed Pizza Roll Recipe and your kids will love every bite!
I am a big fan of making larger batches of food at a time, and then freezing and pulling it out when you need a quick meal or snack. This recipe makes a lot of sauce which can be frozen and used later for pizza, lasagna, dipping sauce for bread sticks, or spaghetti. You can really use any veggies you would like. We used:
You will need about 1 1/2 – 2 cups of chopped veggies and then combine with your favorite marinara sauce. I really like Classico because of the quality ingredients. Saute your veggies before you blend together.
The dough only rises for 30 minutes and so these are quick to make, delicious to eat, and a nutrition power house for your kids. Perfect for a snack, or a meal. We had these for dinner and served with watermelon, and sliced cucumbers with vinegar dipping sauce. All 3 of my kids and my husband loved them – winner! We will definitely be putting these on our regular menu. If you have leftovers, freeze them and then reheat later for a super quick meal!
Veggie Packed Pizza Roll Recipe
- 1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- 2 cups of chopped veggies (spinach, bell peppers, mushrooms, onion, tomatoes, carrots, zucchini)
Chop veggies and saute for 3-4 minutes or until slightly tender. Blend in a high powered blender with marinara sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese (can use more if you like it cheesy)
- 2 cups flour (I use whole wheat, but you can do 1/2 wheat and 1/2 all-purpose)
- 2 1/4 tsp rapid rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup very warm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together the warm water and the oil and add to the dry ingredients. Mix until well blended, about 1 minute. Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Dough should form a ball and will be slightly sticky. Knead on a floured surface, adding additional flour if necessary, until smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes.
- Place dough in a large, lightly greased bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rest for 30 minutes in a warm, draft-free place. Dough should almost double in size.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a lightly floured work surface. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a ½-inch thick rectangle, about 12 by 10 inches.
- Begin by spreading about 1 cup of sauce over the dough, leaving a ½-inch boarder around the edges. If it seems like it needs more, then add 1 or 2 Tbsp at a time. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Begin rolling the dough until you have one large roll. Slice into 8-12 slices and place in a greased muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until rolls are golden brown and cooked through the middle.