Looking for ways to include more fruits and vegetables at every meal? Check out our meal plans for help today!
We have been eating fresh kiwis like crazy. Well........when I say we I really mean my 2 year old and I. My 4 year old has suddenly become picky with certain foods! It is so funny to me because I almost think it is an independence thing for her. She loves saying she doesn't like this or that, when I know that she actually probably does. Today my girls were playing dress-up and they were pretending to be 'mean' princesses. I told them I was going to make them some special 'mean' princess fancy sorbet. I knew that even though she doesn't 'like' kiwi right now, she could not resist the fancy sorbet. If you have a picky eater, a frozen fruit sorbet is a great way to get them to eat fresh fruit.
You can make this in 3 simple steps:
1) Peel your fruit. (Unless you are using berries - then just rinse)
2) In a blender or food processor, blend your fruit, honey, and lemon juice. Pour into a shallow container to freeze. You can also use an ice cream maker if you have one.
3) If you used an ice cream maker, your sorbet will have a softer consistency and will be ready to serve. If you froze it in your freezer, then it will be a little harder. Ours took about 2 hours to freeze. One trick you can do is to scoop it back into your food processor and blend for just a few seconds to soften it up. Then serve!
Kiwis are naturally tart and if you feel like this sorbet is still a little too tart for you or your littles, add a bit more honey to sweeten it up. You can also add another fruit that is sweet like a banana to the puree, it will just change the flavor a bit.
While they were eating their fancy sorbet, I told my girls to show me their meanest princess face. My 4 year old was pretty good at it............my 2 year old is still working on it. Ha. I love having little girls.
- 8 kiwis, peeled
- 4 Tbsp honey
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Peel kiwis and place in a food processor or blender. Pulse until well blended into a thick puree. Add honey and lemon juice. Blend.
- Pour into a shallow container and freeze. Or use an ice cream maker.
- Serve when sorbet is frozen.