- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 medium bell pepper, red
- 4 ounce turkey sausage
- 15 ounce black beans, canned
- 1/2 pound turkey, ground
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 4 regular hamburger buns, whole wheat
- 1 medium tomato, red
- 1 cup guacamole
- 2 medium orange
- Finely dice onion and bell pepper; remove sausage from its casing; and drain and rinse beans. Add all to a large mixing bowl along with the ground turkey, bread crumbs, egg, cilantro, garlic powder, cumin, chipotle seasoning, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well using hands and shape into 4 patties.
- Heat a large skillet (or grill pan) over medium. Add 1-2 teaspoons of oil and allow to heat. Add burgers and cook for 5-6 minutes per side until meat is no longer pink in the center.
- Serve on buns with a slice of tomato and some guacamole. Serve orange wedges on the side.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie