Ditch the frozen nuggets! Try one of these top healthy homemade chicken nugget recipes you can feel proud to serve your kids.
Is there any food with more classic kid-appeal than chicken nuggets? Those crispy, hand-held bites are easy-to-chew, energy-dense, and just begging for a ramekin of ketchup or barbecue sauce.
As a parent, you might have an ambivalent relationship with chicken nuggets. Your kids probably LOVE THEM. And you can’t beat the convenience of pre-made nuggets. But you know that chicken nuggets from the freezer section or the drive-thru are usually loaded with sodium, low-quality meats, and highly-refined fats.
Homemade chicken nuggets take a little time to make, but they’re not hard, and the freshness and nutrition of homemade beats that of anything out of a box!
So… we invite you pass on the drive-thru. Ditch the frozen nuggets. And take your weekend lunch to the next level with one of these healthy, kid-approved chicken nugget recipes.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1. Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets, by SkinnyTaste
- 2. Toddler-Perfect Chicken Nuggets
- 3. Quinoa Coated Chicken Nuggets
- 4. Healthy Homemade Chicken Nuggets by MOMables
- 5. Ranch Chicken Bites by Rasa Malaysia
- 6. Crispy Buffalo Chicken Nuggets by Life Made Simple
- 7. Crispy Coconut Chicken Tenders
- 8. Parmesan Chicken Nuggets from Taste of Home
- 9. Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets by Crunchy Creamy Sweet
- 10. Homemade Frozen Chicken Nuggets from Bless This Mess
1. Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets, by SkinnyTaste
These classic crispy baked chicken nuggets use whole wheat crumbs and whole chicken pieces for a nourishing take on your kids’ favorite lunch.
Quinoa makes a surprisingly crispy and delicious coating for homemade chicken nuggets. Dredge the chicken in gluten-free flour for a totally wheat-free nugget.
4. Healthy Homemade Chicken Nuggets by MOMables
A dash of Creole seasoning gives these homemade nuggets a punch of flavor (that your kids can still manage!)
5. Ranch Chicken Bites by Rasa Malaysia
These ranch chicken bites look deliciously crunchy, and combine two flavors kids flip for.
6. Crispy Buffalo Chicken Nuggets by Life Made Simple
Tender, or nugget? Either way, they’re delicious! Coconut flakes lend super texture and flavor to this chicken.
8. Parmesan Chicken Nuggets from Taste of Home
Because everything’s better with cheese! These nuggets mix Parmesan into the bread crumb coating for an extra-crispy, savory crust.
9. Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets by Crunchy Creamy Sweet
If you have an air fryer, get ready for super-crunchy, delicious chicken nuggets in no time flat!
10. Homemade Frozen Chicken Nuggets from Bless This Mess
If you just can’t give up the convenience of pulling chicken nuggets out of the freezer, here’s a recipe to make ahead and freeze. We love the whole wheat flour and crumbs in this recipe.
Go forth. Make nuggets!
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie