- 4 medium rolls, dinner, wheat
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place squash halves, cut side down, in a shallow baking dish and bake 40-45 minutes or until almost tender.
- Meanwhile, dice cooking apples (to yield about 1 1/2 cups) and celery (1/4 c). Stir apples and celery together with walnuts, sugar and cinnamon.
- Turn squash halves cut side up. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Spoon apple mixture into squash halves and return to oven and bake, covered, about 25 minutes more or till apple is tender.
- Slice in 1/4 inch pieces and cook in a skillet on the stove or in the oven until no longer pink in the middle. Season with salt and pepper. You could also throw the pork in a slow cooker for a few hours, and it will be perfectly shreddable! Serve about 3 ounces of meat with half an acorn squash and a wheat roll.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie