Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, green
- 1/2 stalk celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pound beef, ground, 95% lean
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms, brown, Italian, or Crimini
- 14 1/2 ounce diced tomatoes, canned
- 1/2 can (6 oz) tomato paste, canned
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon bay leaf, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 ounce spaghetti pasta, whole-wheat, dry
- Chop onion, carrot, green pepper, celery and mince garlic.
- In a large saucepan cook meat, mushrooms, onion, carrot, green pepper, celery, and garlic till meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Drain off any fat.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, water (or red wine if preferred) basil, oregano, 1 small bay leaf, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf.
- Combine 1 teaspoon cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of cold water. Stir into sauce. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain well.
- Serve sauce over spaghetti.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie