We’re continuing this week with our healthy one pot meals! Today’s recipe has been one I’ve used for more than 10 years. The White Bean One Pot Chili Recipe started with a standard white bean chili recipe, but we’ve added a few extra veggies to the pot to boost the nutrition of this yummy soup.
- Beans are healthy! In fact, some experts recommend 1 cup of beans PER DAY!
- Beans are cheap! Food is not cheap, but dry beans can help you get control over your food budget.
- Beans last a very long time! They are perfect for food storage.
For this recipe we used Great Northern Beans. For cooking and storing great northern beans, check out our chart on this page.
With 12 grams of fiber PER CUP, Great Northern Beans keep kids full, longer. Great northerns also have 15 grams of protein per serving, and they are a great source of iron.
You can use Great northern beans in recipes that call for Cannelini or White Navy beans.
So, check out our recipe below for White Bean and Veggie One Pot Chili. Add other veggies you have on hand, or even a grain, like brown rice! This type of soup is very flexible and can be adapted to vegetarian version (remove the chicken, and replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth!)
- 1/2 pound chicken breast
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 stalk celery
- 1 medium bell pepper, green
- 3 cup great northern beans, canned
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 tablespoon diced green chilies, canned
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- Chop chicken, onion, and press garlic. Heat a a stock pot to medium, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add chicken and cook until almost done. Add onion and garlic and saute until almost translucent, only about 3-4 minutes. Chop celery and green bell pepper, add to pot.
- Add beans, broth, chilies, and all the seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add milk and sour cream.