We make smoothies for breakfast probably 3-4 times per week. Lately I have been making a berry smoothie with kale that my kids love. The great thing about it is that you can’t taste the kale at all, there is no added sugar, and it is literally just fruits and vegetables. If you haven’t jumped on the kale bandwagon yet, no worries. But I am including this awesome chart of all of the benefits of kale.
I decided this smoothie would make a great popsicle and I was right! Since making them, both my girls have eaten at least one per day. From start to finish they take about 15 minutes to make. Are you skeptical? Are you wondering how they aren’t green at all? Well, read on and you will find out.
For our Super Kale Pops Recipe, all you need is these 4 ingredients and a blender. It does work best if you have a high powered blender. In fact, I would say that is the secret to these pops. Pulverizing the kale. If you don’t have a high powered blender and you are considering making a lot of smoothies, or pops, I would highly recommend investing in one. The first step is to blend the orange juice and kale together. Then add the rest and give it a blend.
And what do you get? A beautiful purple/pink mixture that is sweet and delicious. No green at all. Next step, pour your mixture into your pop mold. If it seems a bit too thick, you can add a little more o.j. Don’t you love those chubby little kid hands? Oh man! Even though my 4 year old spilled everywhere – it was totally worth letting her help. She is just stinkin’ cute.
Now, when it comes to pop molds, the Zoku is by far the best. This is 100% completely my opinion. The 2 reasons why I love this mold the best are:
1) It makes a pop in 7 minutes. Literally to the second 7 minutes. So you can make your pops on the fly. You don’t have to wait a couple of hours and then your kids have lots interest.
2) Your pops come out looking beautiful every single time. And they have all sorts of fun contraptions to make all sorts of fun pops. Another item along with a high powered blender that every household should have.
While you are waiting your 7 minutes, you can do a little of this
And then bam!
You have a healthy, low-sugar power packed pop for your kids on those hot summer afternoons.
- 8 – 10 ounces 100% orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups baby kale
- 1 cup frozen berries
- 1/2 frozen banana
- Blend orange juice and kale together until well blended.
- Blend rest of the ingredients until smooth.
- Pour into pop mold and freeze.