- 4 medium apple
- 2 pound pork loin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice, raw
- 2 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cup lettuce, romaine
- Quarter and core the apples; place at bottom of slow cooker. Season pork with salt and pepper; add to slow cooker. Pour in broth. Cook on low 6-8 hours or until pork is no longer pink in the center.
- Just before pork is done, prepare rice side dish: Boil some water and pour 2 tablespoons into a small cup; add crumbled saffron and allow to steep.
- Meanwhile, dice the onion. Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium-high heat until hot (it will shimmer). Add onion and cook 2-3 minutes or until softened, stirring frequently. Add rice; cook for 2-3 minutes, continuing to stir often.
- Stir in broth, water with saffron, and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and cook 15-18 minutes or until liquid has absorbed and rice is the desired texture. Remove from heat and rest for 5 minutes.
- For the salad: Chop lettuce and toss with your favorite dressing.
- Serve pork and apples with rice and salad on the side.
Calories: 648kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 55g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 168mg | Sodium: 793mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 20g