Ambrosia apples are crispy, sweet, and juicy! my kids loved making these Ambrosia Apple Pizzas for a fun snack!
It’s apple week at Super Healthy Kids! If you follow us over on Facebook, we’ll be sharing all the amazing apple ideas we can find! First up for this week, are these Ambrosia Apple Pizzas! There are so many apple varities, but my kids like the sweet ones the best. Ambrosia Apples are a new variety and are quickly becoming our favorite. They are:
- Low in acid (making them easy to digest)
- They don’t brown as quickly as other varities.
- And they are amazing in recipes. Check out this page for some yummy looking ones. Ambrosia Apple Recipes
Apples are so important to add to kids diet.
- The Phytochemicals found in apples help maintain a normal blood sugar, literally slowing down the absorption of glucose in the digestive track.
- Apples are a good source of fiber.
- Cholesterol levels are lower in persons who regularly eat apples.
- Of course, “An apple a day, keeps the doctor away!”
- Apples can be modified according to your child’s preferences. Erica used to hate applesauce, but love chopped apples.
So, our idea for today, is to make little mini pizzas for a snack. We used:
- Ambrosia Apples, sliced across the width. (for our “Crust”)
- Raspberries, mashed into a spread. (to represent our pizza sauce)
- Coconut, for the pizza topping (to represent our cheese)
- Dried cranberries (to represent our pepperoni)
- and mini chocolate chips (to represent our olives)
Then, we let the kids make their own “pizzas!”
These were SO DELICIOUS! As you can imagine, the sweetness from the Ambrosia apples, the berries, and the coconut made this not just a snack, but a dessert as well.
Are there other toppings you would put on these?
Next time you are at the grocery store, check the produce department for Ambrosia Apples. While the seed was first found in Canada, you can now find Ambrosia apples in North America, Europe, Chile, and New Zealand!
- 4 medium apple, Ambrosia
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup mini chips chocolate chips, semisweet
- 1/4 cup cranberries, dried
- Slice apples through the width to make the crust.
- Mash raspberries to make a spread.
- Spread raspberries on the apple slices
- Sprinkle with coconut, chocolate chips, and dried cranberries.
This post was sponsored by Ambrosia Apples