These power packed little Quinoa Pizza Bites are loaded with balanced protein, antioxidant rich veggies, and with a big pizza flavor, the kids will never know!
A number of years ago, I decided that once a week our family would eat meat free to help save our pastured/grassfed meat budget a little. It has become a pretty simple addition to our meal rotation, and, most of the time we barely notice. I like to use quinoa a lot on those meat free days since it is a nice complete protein. It is so versatile as well, taking on whatever the flavors are that you are working with.
That yummy pizza flavor is a big hit with kids and they are the perfect size for little hands, so these have become a popular item in the house. I even made a double batch this week and froze un-cooked bites on a tray, then popped them into a freezer bag to use on a busy school night. These would even make a great healthy snack!
These pizza bites are also loaded with cauliflower! I often forget about that lonely cauliflower sitting at the market, but it has some amazing antioxidant properties and is loaded with vitamin C and cancer fighting power! It’s neutral flavor and color make it hide really good in these pizza bites and will give the kids an extra veggie boost for the day.
- 1 cup cooked and cooled quinoa you can make this part days in advance or use leftover quinoa from dinner
- 2 cups cooked and cooled cauliflower florets, pureed you will need about half a head of cauliflower. i steamed mine for 15 minutes while my quinoa was cooking. you can make this part days in advance or use leftover cauliflower from dinner
- 1 egg if you are egg free, i think a flax egg or gelatin egg would work for the binding
- 1/4 cup white rice flour
- 2 tb coconut flour
- 2 tb pizza sauce
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- extra pizza sauce for dipping
- optional freshly grated parmesan cheese and/or basil for garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all of the ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- Gently roll about 1 inch balls and set them onto a Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. You can garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese and basil if you wish and use pizza sauce for dipping!