This Peanut Butter Chocolate Trail Mix Granola Bar Recipe is made with wholesome ingredients to create homemade granola bars you feel good about eating.
Hi friends! It’s Amber, back visiting from Dessert Now, Dinner Later! Today’s recipe is so delicious that it’s almost like eating dessert, but it’s packed full of wholesome ingredients like nuts, oats, flax, dried fruit, and even a little bit of semi-sweet chocolate.
The ingredients in these granola bars reflect several of the goodies you would find in a trail mix, but they’re packed into the convenience of a bar. Perfect for those busy on-the-go days, after school snacks, or to pack along for hiking fuel. Extra bonus, they’re NO BAKE!
Kids and adults alike will love munching on these chewy peanut butter granola bars, with the salty-sweet combo of crunchy nuts and tender dried cranberries and raisins. They just hit the spot! Salty-sweet combos are kind of my favorite! Especially these granola bars with the little specks of mini chocolate chips – perfection!
If you make these in an 8×8-inch dish they are nice and thick, but you can totally use a 13×9-inch dish for thinner granola bars, and more of them! If you have munchy kids like mine, then you will probably fly through these granola bars!
If you’re reading this post because you like granola bars, you might also be a granola fan. You must check out my Honey Almond Coconut Granola to top on some yogurt mixed with fresh fruit! It’s the perfect healthy topping!
Anyway, get to making these granola bars! They’d be perfect to pack along on those random day-trip adventures during the summer. Summer is almost here, after all! (Wahoo!) Enjoy!
~Amber Brady is a wife, mother, mormon, and culinary graduate! She shares her favorite recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials on her blog Dessert Now, Dinner Later. Here she’ll help you be an outstanding home cook with culinary know-how!
- 2/3 cup almonds, whole
- 6 ounce cashews
- 1 1/2 cup oats, dry
- 1/3 cup flaxseed, ground
- 1/2 cup mini chips chocolate chips, semisweet
- 1/3 cup cranberries, dried
- 1/3 cup raisins, seedless
- 1 cup peanut butter, all-natural
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving extra on the sides to pull the bars out of the pan. For thinner granola bars, use a 13×9-inch baking dish.
- Roughly chop the almonds and cashews, or pulse the nuts gently in a food processor or blender until medium-small pieces. Place the chopped nuts in a large bowl with the old fashioned oats, ground flax, mini chocolate chips, dried cranberries, and raisins. Mix together.
- In a separate microwave safe bowl, melt the peanut butter. Stir in the honey and sea salt. Allow the mixture to cool slightly (so the chocolate chips won’t melt). Pour the peanut butter mixture in the bowl with the dry ingredients. Fold ingredients together with a spatula until everything is coated.
- Press mixture into the parchment lined baking dish, packing it tightly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Pull the granola slab out of the pan with the edges of the parchment paper. Cut into a minimum of 12 bars. These granola bars are best stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Optionally store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 10 days.