We went out with some friends to a Thai restaurant recently and for dessert we had mango sticky rice. I thought I was in heaven – it was SO good. I’m pretty sure it was also drowning in sugar because it was very sweet. I wanted to try making it at home as a simple low-sugar version. So this is what I came up with:
It was creamy, sweet and delicious My 2 year old ate it for a snack and for breakfast this morning. Success.
- 3 cups sticky rice, soaked overnight in water and drained
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 – 3 tbsp sugar turbinado, cane, brown,
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe mangoes
- Steam the sticky rice until soft.
- Meanwhile, place the coconut milk in a pot and heat over medium heat until hot. Do not boil. Add the sugar and salt and stir to dissolve completely.
- When the sticky rice is cooked, turn it out into a large bowl and pour 1 cup of the hot coconut milk over; reserve the rest. Stir to mix the liquid into the rice, then let stand for 20 minutes to an hour to allow the flavors to blend.
- Peel and chop the mangoes.
- If you want to serve individually, place a round mound of rice on a plate and top with chopped mango.
- Stir the remaining sweetened coconut milk thoroughly, transfer to a small serving bowl and pass it separately, with a spoon, so people can spoon on extra.