I feel like starting each post with: My kids favorite food is this one! Ha ha.. Just because the other day, I said it was raspberries, but as I’m writing this, I’m thinking it’s potatoes! Every single day when my 14 year old comes home from school, he peels a potato and cooks it for 5 minutes in the microwave. It’s honestly his favorite after school snack! He always adds a bit of cheese, but beyond that, he doesn’t do anything special to it. My daughter (who is 12) has been begging me to make potato soup, literally for the last two weeks- even though it’s 100 degrees outside! I figured this dish was a great substitute for both of them! Mini Loaded baked potatoes.
I love these because they are easy to include in any meal, or they could be a meal by themselves. We simply,
- cooked some mini potatoes- I found a variety bag with purple potatoes that my kids thought were awesome!
- Sliced and arranged them in an oven safe dish.
- Topped them with our favorite toppings. (see full recipe below)
- and baked once more!
If you want to make your potatoes part of a balanced meal like we did, we added some fruit, brown rice, and rosemary chicken, all on our Choose MyPlate dish!
- 12 mini or baby potatoes
- 4 slices cooked turkey bacon, crumbled or chopped
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Place all the potatoes, thoroughly washed, in an oven safe dish. Cook at 325 for about 45 minutes- 1 hour, or until the potatoes are soft to the touch.
- Slice in half and return to the dish.
- Chop in small pieces the broccoli and boil in water for only about 3 minutes. Drain and dry.
- Top potatoes with broccoli, turkey bacon, and shredded cheese. Drizzle olive oil over everything. Return to oven and increase the temperature to 400. Cook for 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Also- is there a fruit or veggie you want your kids to try? Let us know and we’ll create a recipe for you!