Classic Italian flavor in your Instant Pot! Fall in love with the simplicity of this juicy, tender chicken coated in breading and smothered in a savory tomato sauce and cheese.
Call it Chicken Parmesan, or call it Chicken Parmigiana. Just make sure you call it a totally delicious, classic Italian dinner. We took this yummy, beloved dish that many families wouldn’t dream of attempting on a busy weeknight, and turned it into an easy, fast (we’re talking 15 minutes of hands-on time) Instant Pot meal.
Tender, juicy Chicken Parmesan makes a super healthy main course you can feel confident serving your kids. Unlike some recipes that fry the chicken cutlets in a whole lotta butter and oil, this one uses the magic of the Instant Pot to tenderize the meat right in the savory sauce.
If you’ve tried our famous All-in-One Instant Pot Brown Chicken and Brown Rice and loved it, now it’s time for an Instant Pot chicken redux. Get your cheese-sprinkling fingers (and your taste buds) ready… it’s dinner time!
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan
First, dredge some chicken breasts in egg white. Then coat it in a simple mixture of panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese (the kind in the jar is OK!), and Italian seasoning.
Set your Instant Pot to “Saute” and brown the crusted chicken in a bit of olive oil.
Then pour the tomato sauce over the browned chicken. This is the liquid the Instant Pot needs to reach pressure, and you shouldn’t need to add anything else. Lock the lid, set it for 15 minutes, and then you get to walk away!
What will you do while dinner cooks itself? Tidy up your kitchen, throw together a side dish, hang with your kids, or steal a moment to scroll through Facebook? Take your pick, hard-working moms and dads.
What to Serve with Chicken Parmesan
Chicken Parmesan can top pasta, sure. But we think the best accompaniment for this dish is a fresh green veggie. Try serving your Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan with one of these healthy, nutrient-dense sides:
- Simple green salad
- Broccoli Salad Makeover
- Cucumbers and bell pepper spears, with Italian dressing for dipping
- Parmesan Roasted Cabbage
- Steamed green beans
- Brown Sugar Asparagus
You can, of course, still serve your Chicken Parmesan over pasta. We recommend whole wheat spaghetti for extra fiber and vitamins, and because whole wheat pairs perfectly with the hearty red sauce.
Instant Pot Chicken ParmesanPrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 ounce Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 large egg white
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 24 ounce tomato sauce
- 6 ounce mozzarella cheese
- In a shallow dish, mix breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, flour, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. In a separate bowl, add the egg whites and whisk together.
- Dip each chicken breast into the egg whites, and then dip into the breadcrumb mixture, covering both sides. Set chicken aside on a clean plate.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil into Instant Pot and turn it to the sauté setting. Once hot, saute chicken until lightly browned on each side.
- Pour tomato sauce over chicken and set Instant Pot to manual setting or the pressure cook setting, for 15 minutes. Turn valve to the sealed setting and allow to naturally release once chicken has cooked. Chicken should no longer be pink and have reached a temperature of 165 degrees F.
- When the seal has fully released, shred cheese on top of chicken. Place lid back on Instant Pot to allow cheese to melt.