In order for our future generation to truly be healthy, they need kitchen skills! Teaching kids to cook is as vital as teaching them to balance a checkbook. This week we want to share a few different recipes that are perfect for little ones just starting out. Follow us on our social pages where we’ll round up more kid-friendly recipes that will teach them some kitchen skills. (hashtag #kidsinthekitchen)
Today, I’m starting with using our waffle iron for a healthy lunch. Lunch is the very first thing I taught my kids how to make themselves. For my youngest child, even before he was in school, I’d have him prepare his own sandwiches when the older kids did. He would put them in a lunch bag, just like his older brother and sister. Then, when lunch time came, he already had it prepared. But, I love this grilled cheese idea because:
- Kids love grilled cheese sandwiches!
- It’s a delicious way to include spinach.
- I don’t really want to buy a sandwich press- I already have too many kitchen appliances.
- And even the little ones (this cute girl is only 3!!) can help you make it.
First, let the kids make the sandwich. All they need is two pieces of bread, a slice of cheese, and a bowl full of spinach.
Second, place the sandwich square in the middle of a waffle iron, and let the kids close the iron. Of course, be careful if they are too young to understand it’s hot! But this is part of your teaching moment! My kids use our waffle iron so much that I ended up buying this one for my 15 year old for Christmas! His FAVORITE food is waffles, and he probably uses it himself at least weekly!
We waited about 2-3 minutes, and opened the waffle iron. Our grilled cheese sandwich was grilled!
Of course, you can use this method for a variety of grilled sandwiches! We’ve also done:
- Peanut butter and banana
- Tuna and cheese
- Roasted veggie and hummus
- Avocado and tomato (YUM!)
- Pesto and mozzarella
What other sandwiches could you make in your waffle iron!
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 slice munster cheese
- 3 – 4 leaves of baby spinach
- Make the sandwich by placing cheese and spinach on bread.
- Place sandwich on a hot waffle iron and squeeze to close.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until sandwich is toasty.