Ditch the fried rice from your Chinese takeout place and make this Fried Quinoa! It’s better for you and can be on the table in 10 minutes!
I grew up on take out! So fried rice just takes me back to when I was 10-years-old and struggling to use chopsticks. My brothers were older than me and were pros at using them so I always was trying to do everything they did. I usually gave up and went with the fork though.
Fried Quinoa is one of my favorite go-to recipes because it’s packed with flavor, protein and so fast and easy to make! Swapping out quinoa for rice will do wonders the protein and fibers levels! The quinoa soaks up all the flavors and has a similar texture to the rice too, so you wont miss it! You can also add as many veggie as you want! When I make this just for me, I don’t measure the vegetables because I don’t mind eating a few extra carrots or peas.
You can make your quinoa the day before (or two days before) and store it in the fridge. That way, all you need to do is chop, stir and serve! You can have dinner on the table in 10 minutes! Left overs? No problem. Just store in a tupperware for a few days and reheat when you need.
The dish has protein, veggies and carbs already in it. So it can be a stand alone meal, but you can also serve it with some steamed broccoli, chicken, or something else off a Chinese menu.
Trouble Crossing the Pacific?
Not all kids jump at the chance to eat something Asian inspired–I get that. So make it fun! Watch Kung-Fu Panda or tell them this is what Po eats to get big and strong! Or you could do a crazy throw back and have them watch Karate Kid with you… Hiy-yah! You’ll also notice I put Oyster sauce as an optional ingredient. This makes the dish sweeter which may appeal more to your kids. Yes, you’re adding sugar but a little dash can go a long way. It’s all about balance. So find what works best for you and your family!
If you loved this recipe, you need to try our Easy Stir Fry! It’s another simple meal with an asian flair!
Black Belt in Eating
If your kids are up for it! You can issue a challenge… eating with chopsticks! Po does it in Kung Fu Panda and they might have trying to eat like him. But you can’t blame me if they make a mess!
- 2 medium carrot
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp butter, salted
- 3 large egg
- 1/2 cup green peas, frozen
- 4 cup Quinoa, cooked
- 4 tablespoon soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 stalk green onion
- Chop carrots, onions and garlic. Set aside.
- Place a large pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter. When melted, add eggs and use a spatula to scramble them. When cooked, remove from pan.
- In your same large pan, add 1 tablespoon of butter and turn heat to medium high. Add chopped carrots, onion, garlic and frozen peas. Occasionally stir and let cook for 4 minutes or until they veggies are soft.
- Add your final tablespoon of butter to the pan and stir in cooked quinoa, scrambled eggs, and as much soy sauce and oyster as you would like! (The soy sauce gives salt to the dish and the oyster sauce adds sweetness.) Let cook for 2 minutes.
- Chop green onions and add to your pan, give it a final stir and it’s ready to serve!