Today is a landmark day! We’re adding a new member to our Super Healthy Kids family! Natalie is at the hospital right now having her third baby!! I can’t wait to meet him! While I wait, I’ll be happy to be stuck in my kitchen chopping up veggies and thinking about holding that baby!
Yesterday, I did a ton of veggie chopping for our holiday spread. No meal is complete around here with a variety of color! Eating all the colors of the rainbow ensures that your kids get all the vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, antioxidants, and nutrients to grow and thrive. Each color has a different purpose.
- Red=beets, bell peppers, red apples, cherries, tomatoes, strawberries etc. Strong in the phytonutrient lycopene and Anthocyanin, vitamins A and C. Known for controlling high blood pressure, reducing risk of cancer, and reducing risk of Alzheimers.
- Dark Green/Green=Kale, Spinach, leafy greens, broccoli, Honeydew, peas, kiwi, collard greens, swiss chard, Strong in Lutein and Indoles also fiber, potassium, folic acid and some B vitamins. Known for maintaining good vision, reducing risk of tumor growth in cancer patients.
- Yellow/orange=Carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, apricots, oranges, grapefruit, pears, pineapple. Known for being high in Beta-carotene and bioflavonoids, fiber and vitamin A. Benefits are boosts immunity, reduce heart attack risk, maintain strong bones and teeth, better skin.
- Blue/Purple=Blueberries, blackberries, grapes, raisins, plums. High in Anthocyanin and phenolics. Benefits are reduction of age related memory loss, controlling blood pressure, slowing the effects of aging (I like that one).
- White=Garlic, potatoes, onions. High in allicin, fiber, potassium. Benefits are lowering cholesterol, reduces spread of cancer.
Armed with a desire to make a spread with all the colors (minus white)- I made this corn salad for our Fourth of July lunch-
Talk to your kids about the benefits of each eating different colors in their diet, and see how many you can get today!
Check our Facebook page for baby updates :)!!
Related posts: Rainbow Wraps/ Rainbow Oatmeal Bar/
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 sprig cilantro
- 1 lime
- Chop tomato, onion, peppers and cilantro and put together in a bowl. Squeeze with lime juice. Refrigerate for one hour. Season with salt and pepper if desired.